Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:35:46 PM

Author Topic: I think I've fiddled with something i shouldn't have!  (Read 1008 times)

I think I've fiddled with something i shouldn't have!
« on: August 10, 2020, 12:19:54 PM »
Hi all,

I have a small woodworking business and thought i'd try personalising some of my products with a cnc router. I got a cheap chinese '3040z', and after loads of hastle getting it to work, i realised the spindle was rubbish so i bolted a trim router onto it instead. Today i was getting some good results, all going well, until my third project. I dont know what if anything i've clicked or changed, but the machine is now plunging into the material and stalling at the start of every job.

So heres basically what i was doing: load in the material, fasten it down, use the keyboard to get the tip of the tool to the bottom left corner of the top surface of the material, zero all axis, then hit 'run'. All working perfectly.

Doing exactly the same thing now but plunging into the wood as soon as i hit start. I've taken the material out and set zero in the air at roughly the same point it would have been with the material just to see what it would do, and it appears to travel to the first cut underneath the surface rather than above it. the toolpath then seems fine until the job finishes, and then it drops back down to the bed (sacraficial ply board) and cuts a few mm deep into it back to home XY, and then back up to home Z.

I'm presuming its a mach issue as opposed to a fusion 360 issue as the same .tap file ran perfectly before.

Any help greatly appreciated. I've spend 5 hours so far trying to figure this out and i'm getting nowhere.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: I think I've fiddled with something i shouldn't have!
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 01:41:30 AM »
Could you .zip and attach the .tap file you are having problems with (it needs a unique name to attach to forum).

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 04:20:43 AM »
Hi Tweakie, Thanks for the reply.

I've attached the .tap file that the problem happened on, however I then tried re-running the previous two jobs and it done the same on those which is why i'm thinking it must be a setting on mach i've messed up as opposed to the .tap file.

Thanks, Robert.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:48:40 PM »
Hi all,

I have a small woodworking business and thought i'd try personalising some of my products with a cnc router. I got a cheap chinese '3040z', and after loads of hastle getting it to work, i realised the spindle was rubbish so i bolted a trim router onto it instead. Today i was getting some good results, all going well, until my third project. I dont know what if anything i've clicked or changed, but the machine is now plunging into the material and stalling at the start of every job.

So heres basically what i was doing: load in the material, fasten it down, use the keyboard to get the tip of the tool to the bottom left corner of the top surface of the material, zero all axis, then hit 'run'. All working perfectly.

Doing exactly the same thing now but plunging into the wood as soon as i hit start. I've taken the material out and set zero in the air at roughly the same point it would have been with the material just to see what it would do, and it appears to travel to the first cut underneath the surface rather than above it. the toolpath then seems fine until the job finishes, and then it drops back down to the bed (sacraficial ply board) and cuts a few mm deep into it back to home XY, and then back up to home Z.

I'm presuming its a mach issue as opposed to a fusion 360 issue as the same .tap file ran perfectly before.

Any help greatly appreciated. I've spend 5 hours so far trying to figure this out and i'm getting nowhere.
1. Do you have physical limit switches on your router?
If NOT, install them asap. Then "Ref ALL Home" will set the x y and z  machine zero correctly every time.
2. Avoid using G28
Use G53 instead
e.g.
G0 G53 Z0
then
G0 G53 X0 Y0 TO RETURN TO MAcHINE ZERO
before
M30

3.Make sure that in General config
Copy G54 from G59.253 is unticked (=unchecked)

4. If you have a USB motion controller/BOB, the USB cable must be a good quality one with one ferrite core on each end.
A trim router is always sparking at the armature producing lots of electromagnetic noise.  Better to have a VFD in future.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:59:52 PM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"