Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:18:19 AM

Author Topic: PWM and Mach4 Hobby setup  (Read 2735 times)

PWM and Mach4 Hobby setup
« on: August 05, 2020, 06:13:28 AM »
Moderator, please move this if in the wrong area. Thanks.

Finally my new machine is up and running and to prove it to myself I cut and engraved a new house name sign for my neighbor. But moving on......

Hopefully I can get some help here
I have Endurance 10W+ Laser and running Aspire 10.5 with a Warp9 ESS Smooth Stepper a C11 Rev8 BOB (All 5 inputs are used with limits and homing switches) so I have a C10 plugged directly into the Smooth stepper.

I could use some help in getting the laser setup with PWM in Mach4 Hobby. Specifically which boxes should be ticked in both the mach 4 settings and the ESS settings.

Vectric are selling a Laser post processor add on, does anyone know if this works with Endurance lasers and Mach4 Hobby.

Thanks

George
One step at a time!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: PWM and Mach4 Hobby setup
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 06:46:26 AM »
I could use some help in getting the laser setup with PWM in Mach4 Hobby. Specifically which boxes should be ticked in both the mach 4 settings and the ESS settings.

Hi George,

Perhaps check out the ESS laser set-up details on the Warp9 site;  https://www.warp9td.com/index.php/faq/faq-mach4#LaserSetup

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 07:40:30 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, I expect the Red Lion is still closed, hope you are keeping safe. Maybe one day I would like to come and see you.

I'll look at the link meanwhile Aspire posted this....  So I'm not sure if there PP will work with Mach4, Onwards and upwards.

Initially we aim to support the following machine tools (and controllers) using the most common commercially available solid-state laser diode modification kits.

X-Carve (GRBL)
Shapeoko (GRBL)
Ooznest (Duet2)
Digital Wood Carver (PlanetCNC controller)
Nextwave CNC - Nextwave Laser Controller
OpenBuilds (GRBL)
Stepcraft (UCCNC)
Please see the FAQ below for full details of our tested & supported configurations. We will be adding other machines and controllers to this supported list over time.

Other similar machines or controllers *may* work, our version 10.5 trial editions allow you to test your machine configuration before you purchase. Please note, however, that we are unable to provide support for other configurations at this time.
One step at a time!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 09:53:24 AM »
Hi George,

If it's any help, the Vectric pp that I use is here;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=36640.0

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »
Thank you Tweakie.
One step at a time!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »
So Tweakie, If I purchase Aspires Laser Add ON can I then use you PP to generate the Gcode ?

Hi George,

If it's any help, the Vectric pp that I use is here;  https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=36640.0

Tweakie.
Hi George,

Tweakie.
One step at a time!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 05:02:47 PM »
Hi Tweakie, I used your PP with Aspire, I drew a square sent it to Mach 4 and this is what it did. Seems it don't like corners. Most odd!!
One step at a time!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 12:59:17 AM »
 ;)

That's not the pp that's your CV settings. Just to test, turn off CV and run in Exact Stop mode.
Basically, your motor tuning Acceleration need to increase and/or your Velocity needs to be reduced.

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 06:16:04 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 07:15:44 AM »
CV Did it, thanks

I looked at the demo for Aspires Laser add on. If I use that do you think the files produced along with your PP run OK with Mach 4 ??

Cheers

George
One step at a time!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 07:42:02 AM »
Hi George,

I don't know for sure but as far as I am aware it will not be necessary to use a pp with the output from the Aspire Laser add-on.

Most of the new laser raster control software's only generate the Gcode for the raster pattern - the actual laser control / switching is done directly, on-the-fly.

As an example this image was laser, raster scanned, onto some Birch plywood using the 57CNC controller and no Gcode was produced. With this method it is often easier to raster scan things that would otherwise be vector produced such as text, etc.

Tweakie.

PEACE