Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:32:40 PM

Author Topic: Driver test problem  (Read 3998 times)

Driver test problem
« on: September 30, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »
Hi
Like many people I am some-what new to the world of CNC. I build my machine form parts out of the salvage yard and E-Bay, I have been doing good, getting great results in 2D. I had a problem with my CPU, the power supply went out and  took out the mother board or the other way around. We replaced the supply and mother board, Since then I can not get the driver to work. ( the mother board is a 2G board not new ) all the programs work with no problem and the parallel port prints to a printer. I have connected a second CPU to the  system and it works with no problem ( I know the driver board, motors, and the driver power supply are working). I have tried the SpecialDriver.bat, no help. When I run the driver test the system will lock up in 2-3 seconds after it starts and I have to reboot. The motors did respond correctly 1 or 2 times when first starting  them started to make strange noises and the motors just about move.

Grumpy

Ps: I think the mother board is the problem but would like your input
Re: Driver test problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 11:06:50 AM »
More than likely it is your parrallel port that is the problem, only puting out 3v and you need 5v so get a pci parrallel card and try again
CRUISER
  Don
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 07:38:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for a quick fix, getting a parallel board will be on the top of my list

grumpy

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 08:28:37 PM »

When I run the driver test the system will lock up in 2-3 seconds after it starts and I have to reboot.

Not to say your parallel port is not having problems but this driver test lockup does not indicate that.

Most parallel ports put out 3v. And most people don't realise this.

If you are using a break out board that is buffered or optoisolated that is not likely to be a problem.

Greg

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Just a thought, is your jog enable on? Pull up your MPG page, Tab key, and see what mode your in. If your wanting to use the keyboard keys, make sure you are in cont. mode and not single step.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 06:09:17 PM »
I want to thank all for their help in trying to solve this problem. After 4 days of frustration trying to resolve this  I bit the bullet and got a new system.

grumpy

PS:
the system was old and the replacement mother board was used  and windows was acting strange. I think I did the right thing