Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:52:17 AM

Author Topic: Cutting a Circle - Figures don't add up!  (Read 2640 times)

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting a Circle - Figures don't add up!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 01:28:32 PM »
for the soft Limit error, you have to go to diagnostic page an have a look for the Machine Coord's

without Hardware reference Switches it is realy hard to use soft Limits, because they are allways related
to machine coords.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline JG

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 01:42:15 PM »
That was quick TPS !!   

I've found the [Diagnostics] and see that Z has a work offset 0f -29  which makes absolute sense BUT  I can't find a way to change that to zero.  -   I can simply type '0' over the -29 but can't see a [Save] and the figure returns to -29 when I go back to the Program Run page.

I have to stop programming for the evening - I'm due to host a Zoom Quiz at 6:45  :)    -  I'll look in later though.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 02:21:06 PM »
that is what i tryed to explain (maybe my bad bavarian english is causing causing this).
softlimits are allways related to machine coords. machine cooods can only be set by
using Hardware reference Switches. thats it.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline JG

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2020, 07:36:47 PM »
Certainly not your English TPS  -  that is vastly superior to my German :)   -  more likely to be my understanding.

I haven't yet tested this on my 'Real' system  -  it's on my simulation Office PC so no 'Hardware' attached  -  also it hasn't happened previously and I'm sure I've specified less than Z -71 in the past (I could well be mistaken though  :-\ ).

I will check the setting in the workshop system in the morning but I'd like to know how I can change the -29 to 0 -- as I've said I have no hardware attached so there surely must be a way to modify it.

Offline JG

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 07:09:12 AM »
My workshop system did not have the -29 Z offset and when I closed the Office system & re-opened it - nor did that ??   How it became set to that figure will no doubt remain a mystery.

I've successfully cut the 'pocket' which is the 22mm deep bore for the 80mm thread so I have moved forward a great deal.  What I am now somewhat concerned about is the fact that clicking on the link A Wiki containing all the customization information for Mach3 just gives me a blank page and  the [Wizards] do not do what the Mach3Mill_1.84.pdf describes.

For instance I can select the [Circular Pocket] Wizard and I do get the screen display as shown on page 23 of the 'Manual' - Fig.3.8 I can modify the tool and pocket size but neither CW (M3) nor CCW (M4) are lit (even when I enter a spindle speed) and when I [Post Code] nothing changes and [EXIT] does not return me to the 'normal' screen and I can't find any way to regain control without closing & re-opening Mach3.
It is not just this 'Wizard' - I have tried [Thread Milling] and can't even change from inch to mm in that - again [EXIT] does not return me to 'Normal'.

I'm sure that once I can get more than a blank screen from the Wiki link many of my questions will be answered  :-\

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 08:07:44 AM »
I'm sure that once I can get more than a blank screen from the Wiki link many of my questions will be answered  :-\

https://web.archive.org/web/20070824162245/http://www.artsoftcontrols.com/MachCustomizeWiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline JG

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2020, 09:09:16 AM »
Thanks for the link Tweakie but it doesn't give me much benefit  :(

There are a few 'links' which simply say something to the effect that "This is available on the Web and hasn't been archived" but doesn't provide a link to where it is on the web.

Also. there are many entries in the contents tree with no links at all ----  not at all what I expected a 'Wiki' to be.

Is it reasonable to expect the Wizards to work as expected or is this another of those issues that have been sidelined by the fact the Mach4 is now taking all the development resource and Mach3 is 'as is' ?  (like the G41, G42 offset issue I came across)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:14:49 AM by JG »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2020, 09:59:35 AM »
Unfortunately the 'Wiki' was terminated when the forum was re-designed for Mach4 and all that is left nowadays is the archived fragments.
Perhaps check out the Mach2 Customisation manual - that may have some more comprehensive details; https://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mach2_6.11_Custom.pdf

As you say, Mach3 is 'as is' and as far as I can see, that is the way it will remain.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline JG

•  61 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
A quick scan though the Mach2 Custom .PDF seems to indicate that there is a probability that it will contain useful information when I have done a bit more study.

Currently I'm looking carefully at the Mach4 GCode Manual which is certainly more comprehensive than any previous G-Code tutorial I've seen -- specifically detailing the parameters expected for each code and providing explanations as to what each is expected to do.

It may well be that some of the codes have seen embellishment or at least 'tweaking' but I suspect that in general I can use the information for testing.

Having hand-coded a program to cut a circular pocket, clearing all the internal waste material away -  and realizing how tedious changing many lines of code can be, not to mention the fact that I now have to do the same to mill the thread, with each pass needing to feed the cutter a little deeper (increased radius) --- I'm considering writing a Program (in Pascal) to enter the various potential variables -- Pocket dia. & depth, Tool dia., Feed rate etc. which will then output the G-Code with all the many lines of code taking account of each 'pass' needed.  It won't be a 10 minute exercise though  ;D

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
Why do you want to re-invent the wheel, why not use the built in wizards, click on the wizards menu and you have all the included ones in a window.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:17:27 PM by Graham Waterworth »
Without engineers the world stops