Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:54:40 AM

Author Topic: what pc to buy to run mach  (Read 2777 times)

what pc to buy to run mach
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
Hello everyone

I am fairly new to cnc but I have successfuly made a router (solsylvia type) and have succesfully used mach 3 to run it for some time. I currently use my home desktop to run it which works perfectly but isnt very convenient as my router is in another building but I had another computer which completely failed to work despite trying very hard for a long time to fix all problems and I never found out why.  I would like to use a dedicated computer to run it preferably a laptop but I am nervous as I dont want to buy one which may not work. Can anyone reccomend a model to buy. I know most new laptops dont have an LTP port and dont give a reliable 5 volts but I am happy to buy a recon model but which one. Any tips or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance

John

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: what pc to buy to run mach
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 05:01:55 AM »
And that is the trouble. Your first problem will be finding one with a printer port - which now seem to have gone in favour of USB. The other is the voltage, and somebody on this forum told me that some of the operating systems "cheat" on the display which sends the timings off.

I was lucky -  I use a Toshiba - about 5 years old, which my daughter bought from PCWorld ( I paid the first months rent on her flat for it) .

It has a LPT1 port and checking the voltages with a volt meter, they are in the 5 volt bracket. It seems very stable and runs Mach3 perfectly.

I think I would go for an older one of better quality, rather than a more modern one.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
Re: what pc to buy to run mach
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 11:27:13 AM »
Or just go to some pc parts store like New Egg on internet and buy componants to assemble your pc. they have some parts that are not the newest and mark cost way down for some good deals. I have put together my shop pc from there using my old box and power supply but totally regutting it for under $300. If the motherboard has no parrallel port or it is a 3v Or better yet do it anyway, I suggest getting a pci parrallel port. I run two of them and i turned off the board port and then assigned the two added ports one and two. I am using SIIG ports as they have assured me of 5v, and they are not all equal ! personnally I shy away from the cheap pre assembled pc's especially the ones that use propriatary parts that you can only service from them ! I put together my last 6 pc's and i am in no way a true puter geek, I just want to get what i want/need !
CRUISER
  Don