Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:19:19 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 or machine problem?  (Read 1074 times)

Mach3 or machine problem?
« on: June 03, 2020, 07:16:00 AM »
Dear Artsoft and CNC users,

We've recently bought a machine, which speaking of quality looks good, but since the beginning we had a few problems with it. I should mention that we use Mach3 and XHC card.
For example, there is one really dangerous problem:
Sometimes when finding all the zeros in Mach3, and after I click "go to zero" or "cycle start", machine goes to +40mm or even worse, -40mm, hits the material and sometimes, breaks the router bit.

We are really sick of this happening because router bits are not for free and this problem takes a lot of time during production. While talking to the company that sold the machine, they can't figure out what's happening. To me, personally, it looks like it's some sort of bug in Mach3 and not a problem in the machine.
It happens not so often and when it happens, firstly the value in Mach 3 of Z-Axis is changed magically to around +40, so when program tries to put machine to 0, it hits the surface, which makes sense. Also, this broken router bit afterwards can hit someone in the eye. We don't want this to happen.

Do you know what is really the problem here? Would changing to Mach4 fix this problem?
I would be really thankful if someone can solve this agony for us.

Best regards,
Peri_95

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 or machine problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 07:30:46 AM »
Hi Peri_95,

It is not a Mach3 bug otherwise we would all be breaking router bits  ;D

My advice would be to bin the cheap Chinese XHC card and fit a quality, US or EU manufactured, motion controller - it will save you money in the end. Selecting a motion controller that will also work with Mach4 would perhaps be good for the future.

(There are a few different motion controllers to choose from but one that I use is the Warp9 ESS).

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 07:32:31 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 07:50:12 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

Ok, it could be due to XHC card. Which motion controller do you recommend? Let's say Mach4 (although you can recommend Mach3 as well), better to use newer software, I think, although there is not so much difference.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:39 AM »
I can't recommend any particular motion controller because they each have their own merits but as I mentioned above one that I use is the Warp9 ESS which can be used with and has plugins for Mach3 and Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:07:06 AM »
Oh ok, I overlooked this in brackets what you've written.

Ok then, I will check our ESS.

I don't want to bother you too much, you've helped enough already, just one more question:
We are not ultra experts here, so I have to ask. ESS should work with any CNC?
I mean, there is nothing special here. Stepper motors and proximity sensors, every machine has them. You just route the inputs/outputs and you are good to go.

Regards,
peri_95

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »
Yes indeed sir the ESS will work with a any CNC machine using step and direction drivers and operated by Windows OS.

Like the other quality motion controller manufacturers, the ESS has excellent manufacturer support backed by an active forum where any problems users experience are quickly resolved. Please check out their website and forum for more details;  https://warp9td.com/

Please bear in mind that Mach3 is now obsolescent and although it still has a great many users (including myself) third party support is now aimed at its successor Mach4.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »
I've used both and I would not waste any time on Mach3.  I used Warp9 ESS on both and no issues, and I am not an expert like these guys, I just want stuff to work without any screwing around.  I have sold those machines and built up a Chinese Work Bee to move into the retirement home when I go  ;D.   I used a PMDX USB instead of Ethernet and it seems to fine. Running Mach4 on Windows 10, sorry Microsoft I cursed and swore I would never use W10 but its ok.

Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R Service and lots of Hobbys.