Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:12:19 PM

Author Topic: zero doesnt equal zero?  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Hodges

•  18 18
  • Freeing trees from silence
    • View Profile
    • Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
Re: zero doesnt equal zero?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 05:33:50 PM »
Thank you to all who posted.

Some how I managed to get this working today after trying zealous' suggestion. I started with a 1/8" tool that could withstand side movements without breaking and worked my way down from there. The program was repeatable and I could re-run it and have the tool exactly replicate what it had done before.

I just wanted to add that I think the problem was somehow with the tool offset being set to the actual length of the tool. After removing this setting, all else seemed to work fine. Since my machine doesnt have multiple tools, I dont htink I need to ever enter an offset. If I am understanding this correctly, this setting is for multiple tools where each tool may have a different length??

I also was able to cut circles and rectangles today with some limited precision.. I'll work on that since it is most likely a User problem. I learn better when I can figure things out for myself, but sometimes I know when it is time to throw in the towel and ask for help.

I dont know how to permanently encode a "Home" setting for all axis into the software, but I'll figure it out. My machine doesnt employ limit switches, but I can see where these would be helpful. Right now, it just bangs the limits of the machine (which causes offsets). I know I have seen software settable limits somewhere, but I cant find them at the moment.

Thanks again!
Ken
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 05:44:56 PM by Hodges »
Hodges Handcrafted Guitars
http://www.hodgesguitars.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: zero doesnt equal zero?
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 06:00:55 AM »
Kent - glad you have it sorted. The tool length is not important - if you are using one tool - or if you touch the work with the tool tip and zero everything. The machine needs to know where it is in all respects.

It is the same with limits and homing. You can set soft limits which will stop your machine banging the physical extremeties of the machine, and, as you say, knocking everything out of kilter.

As for homing - I do not bother, since I much prefer to set each piece of work manually before I cut it. If you are in a high cost, low volume scenario, I think this is better - i.e I like to know I've checked evrything before setting the machine off - it saves ruining a piece of work that I might have spent some time on beforehand.

If it is low cost, high volume, then yes - get the machine to go to a home, throw in a workpice and press the button. If you spoil the odd piece it doesn't matter.

You will probably come up against another offset shortly - I assume you have set up backlash - that is tool width. If you are doing circles and other complex scrolls, you will have to take notice of tool width  and set the machine to compensate for it. - it is great fun to watch the machine cutting something you have designed.

Jim.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.