Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:35:59 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 - MB3 Breakoutboard and DYN2 servo motor driver connection  (Read 855 times)

Hi there,

I have been looking at the two manuals for the MB3 breakout board and DYN2 servo motor driver, and was wondering if someone could help me understand the wiring as I am very new to servos. Am i connecting the pulse and direction to the step and direction from the motor driver to the breakout board only? Also if anyone has their own wiring schematic for just one motor and would be willing to share it, this would be extremely helpful.

Thank you,

Regards,

Start_Anew

Re: Mach 4 - MB3 Breakoutboard and DYN2 servo motor driver connection
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 05:55:19 PM »
Hi,
this post should be on the Mach4 General Discussion board, no doubt Tweakie will shift it.

I see you have had a look at DMM servos and drives? Good choice.

I am most familiar with Delta servos and drives but they are very similar, biologists have a term for it...
'convergent evolution'.

The MB3 breakout board has provided high speed differential outputs intended for use as step/direction
outputs. You will use two differential MB3 outputs for each DYN2 drive, that is four wires arranged as two twisted
pairs.

Each drive will need an enable input. I see that the DYN2 accepts 5V as single ended inputs whereas Delta drives
accept 24V. Small detail. Its common to have one single ended output of the MB3 signal an enable to as many DYN2's
you have.

Each DYN2 will have at least one Alarm output. You could have all three alarm ouputs connected to one input of the
MB3. If one servo faulted Mach would know but it would not know which servo it was. It is not unreasonable therefore
to have each DYN2 alarm output connected to a dedicated MB3 input.

In the case of my Delta's I have programmed two Alarm outputs from each drive. I have a Following Error alarm
from each drive on its own breakout board input, and then I have all the other fault conditions like over-current, over-voltage,
over-heat etc to the second alarm output, and one breakout board input monitors all three drives.

There again referring to my Delta drives I have a Reset input to each drive, one breakout board output feeds all three
drive Reset inputs. Not sure how the DYN2's handle resets. It maybe you have to pull the Enable line low for a period of time
and then re-assert the Enable.

It may be that you want to monitor the drive/servo combination, maybe the load on the servo. Delta drives and I imagine
DYN2's will allow you to monitor at least one analogue variable and possibly more than one digital variable. Each
monitoring function will require another wire.

You can see that you end up with quite a few wires going to each drive.

Concentrate on the basics to start with:

1) Step/direction....be they single ended or differential
2) Enable
3) Alarm......or possibly more than one alarm
4) Reset..... depending on how your DYN2 handles it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 06:49:50 PM »
Hi,
I see also that you are thinking about using DYN2 drives, they are a little cheaper but remeber you
have to provide a 70VDC (approx) power supply to each.

If you paid an extra $50 (approx) you'd get DYN4's and matching 200V servos. the DYN4's get hooked
direct to 230VAC, no DC power supply required..

Are you sure that trying to save a few dollars on the initial purchase will save money overall?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:04:12 PM »
The thing is I'll just have to wait to convince my professor, so I just assume he'll go with the DYN2 drives. I might as well figure out how to wire both just incase lol.

Start_Anew