Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:19:58 AM

Author Topic: mach3 threading  (Read 1688 times)

mach3 threading
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:35 PM »
  new to this forum … a question regarding an older mach3 version … I have used Mach3 for about 12 years on a 3 axis mill , servo motors and gecko drives … I like the results … I have built a 11X36 lathe using ball ways and ball screws and also dc servo motors and gecko drives … I have the turning functions and motor tuning working very well … in threading though … I have a problem ? maybe ? I can use the wizard to program a single lead thread and cut a very good thread (once) … with the workpiece still chucked and not moved in any way , when I re-cut this thread there will be a lead error … my spindle encoder reads rpm reliably and checks to a mechanical tach. … I have setup travel dials to verify the return position of the toolpost and that is very close after many repeated cycles ...BUT , in re-cutting there is a noticeable thread lead error … I am starting my thread .500 from the actual part 0 , so acceleration should not be a problem … my dc servos are 250 watt 32 volt , carriage moves freely ,without mechanical load … my version of mach3 is R3.043.022 … would I benefit from the more current version ? always an optimist   Gene French