Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:13:29 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 and 5 Axis CNC  (Read 3933 times)

Re: Mach 4 and 5 Axis CNC
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
Hi,

A cheap and effective breakout board is the C25, at only $30.00. It has two ports developed (34 IO's).
Note however they are TTL level, that is 5V. The inputs to the Delta drivers are 24V, being the norm in industrial
equipment. Thus you will need to add a resistor and a transistor/mosfet to effect the level translation. I can help
with cicuit diagrams if you need.

Another alternative is to use a MB3 breakout board from CNCRoom at $180. It has all three ports developed (51 IO's)
and its outputs are 24V tolerant. You are (somewhat) constrained to the architecture that the manufacturer has provided
but is a well balanced mix of inputs and outputs and a mix of differential and single ended. It require but one 24V power
supply and supplies (on board) 5V to the ESS.

Craig

Thanks again Craig, wiring diagrams would be extremely useful at this point. My professor is a stickler for details, so having all the wiring information would be the key to showing him how much better the servos are compared to the steppers. Additionally, are you suggesting getting different power supplies for the servo drivers and the breakout board and ESS?

Start_Anew
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 03:15:32 PM »
Hi,
if you use Delta servos at my recommendation then you don't need power supplies for the servo drives, they
are 230VAC input.

The Delta servo drive has a 24V output, limited to only 500mA, which is intended for use with signalling between
the breakout board and the drive.

If you use a simple breakout board like a C25 then you will need a 5V power supply for the breakout board and the ESS.
A C25 (or even sipmler C10's) will require some extra circuitry in the form of a level translator transistor/mosfet.
The advantage of the simpler boards is that you have the greatest flexibility but comes at the expense of you having
to provide the little bits of circiutry required.

If you use a more sophisticated MB3 from CNCRoom, then one independant 24VDC power supply will power both the
breakout board and the breakout board will break down 24V to 5V for the ESS.

The MB3 has differential outputs, about 12 of them, especially for high signalling rate to servo drives
which are perfect for you. No extra circuitry required. The MB3 has gained a good reputation beacause it has been well
thought out so that a user requires very little or no electronic skills to achieve a workable solution. That comes at the
expense of flexibility. None the less the MB3 has gained a good following.

If you want to represent to your professor that the 'lowest risk' solution is an MB3. If you need to save pennies then
the C25 is perfectly workable but requires some electronic skill from you.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 04:23:06 PM »
Hi,
if you use Delta servos at my recommendation then you don't need power supplies for the servo drives, they
are 230VAC input.

The Delta servo drive has a 24V output, limited to only 500mA, which is intended for use with signalling between
the breakout board and the drive.

If you use a simple breakout board like a C25 then you will need a 5V power supply for the breakout board and the ESS.
A C25 (or even sipmler C10's) will require some extra circuitry in the form of a level translator transistor/mosfet.
The advantage of the simpler boards is that you have the greatest flexibility but comes at the expense of you having
to provide the little bits of circiutry required.

If you use a more sophisticated MB3 from CNCRoom, then one independant 24VDC power supply will power both the
breakout board and the breakout board will break down 24V to 5V for the ESS.

The MB3 has differential outputs, about 12 of them, especially for high signalling rate to servo drives
which are perfect for you. No extra circuitry required. The MB3 has gained a good reputation beacause it has been well
thought out so that a user requires very little or no electronic skills to achieve a workable solution. That comes at the
expense of flexibility. None the less the MB3 has gained a good following.

If you want to represent to your professor that the 'lowest risk' solution is an MB3. If you need to save pennies then
the C25 is perfectly workable but requires some electronic skill from you.

Craig

Yeah more than likely, we'll be going with the MB3 and the smooth-stepper for the lowest risk solution. It'll put my profs mind at ease lol.

Start_Anew
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
So I forgot to mention we live in Canada, and our wall voltage is 110-120 Volts so the Delta servos might be a problem no? I dont think my professor would invest in a step up transformer lol.

Start_Anew
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 11:32:39 AM »
So I forgot to mention we live in Canada, and our wall voltage is 110-120 Volts so the Delta servos might be a problem no? I dont think my professor would invest in a step up transformer lol.

Start_Anew

Whoops nevermind, I forgot I could change the power supply from 110Vac to 220Vac lol. Sorry still getting used to all of this.

Start_Anew
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi,
if your in Canada then you should look at DMM servos.

It is a Canadian brand manufactured in China. They have a good reputation and supporting home grown
manufacturers is highly worthwhile......especially in the COVID recovery times.

Craig
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2020, 09:30:41 PM »
Craig
when you say that"Arguably the Ethernet SmoothStepper (Warp9 TD) is the most complete (step/direction) Mach4 ready motion controller"
what is the advantage  compared to pokeys?

by the way ,we use 850w servo leadshine and there no any problem ,only we found that to get good accl dccl we need increase
the external brake resistor
yaakov
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 12:16:21 AM »
Hi,

when you say that"Arguably the Ethernet SmoothStepper (Warp9 TD) is the most complete (step/direction) Mach4 ready motion controller"

By this i refer to the realtime supports. For instance it has realtime THC by support of the TMC controller. The PoKeys does not do that, neither
(to my knowledge) does the PoKeys offer realtime laser rastering/vectoring. The ESS offers realtime PID control of the spindle (via PWM) which
assists with lathe threading where the spindle is marginal or lacks inertia.

If you are not doing laser operations, single point lathe threading or require high bandwidth THC control then the extras that the ESS have are of
no advantage.

One feature that the PoKeys has that the ESS does not is analogue inputs.

Warp9TD are in the process of designing a new motion controller and I have been assured that analogue inputs will be supported in the new
design.

Craig
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2020, 03:36:23 PM »
hi
i think pid to control sindle its have ,but as you mention i not use it
pokeys have large  output relay (i use 7 cards each have 8 reley)
also good point in pokeys ,he can customize (for example increase the connectors size to be normal,add dioda and resistor in each input
to limit 5v...like this in very fair price)
and he told me also he can add in near future ,second loop to mach card to confirm position,and next year Ethercat
thanks any way craig
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2020, 07:20:39 PM »
MB3 ($180) (CNCRoom) has three ports developed (51 IO's) replete with both differential and single ended 24V IO's, opto-isolated inputs, spindle control
features like PWM-to-analogue etc.

Craig

Hey Craig,

Was just wondering if there was a MB3 equivalent breakout board? Something else that you can just attach to the Ethernet smooth stepper without the use of excess wiring via parallel ports.

Start_Anew