Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:45:04 PM

Author Topic: Tool change Problem.  (Read 2494 times)

Re: Tool change Problem.
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 08:55:23 AM »
Hi Stuart,

Is probably something stupid I am doing but it is very confusing and I am not making a very good job of explaining it.
On my mill in Mach3 I have permanently set tools and tools that require the length checked each time and it all works fine.

This is a new router I have built and at present I only have a few collets and so I have to change tool in collet now and again. I prefer to send spindle to check tool length at every tool change.
I start by selecting T1 which has zero offset set and setting G54 in the offsets section of Mach4 setting Z on an 8mm tool plate.
I then change to T2 say a 6mm cutter then set cutter offset in offsets section and the offset is set in tool table of -14.995.

I can then run a job with no M6 tool change with a single tool no problem.

Now to test the M6 tool change  I leave the same 6mm cutter in the collet and run T3 M6 G43 H3 ( this is just a test to try and find out what is wrong) the tool table shows the offset for T3 as -7.015. (as it is the same tool as T2 the offset should be -14,995)

If I then run T4 M6 G43 H4 again with the same 6mm tool fitted the offset now changes to -0.0080 (it should not change as is same tool that was fitted)
when I run it again as T5 M6 G43 H4 the offset returns to -7.015.  If I continue incrementing T and H the offset in the tool table keeps alternating  between -7.015 and 0.0080.
I know this is not normally what you would do in normal operation of the machine.
I am telling the machine a different tool is fitted, but is the same tool that has never been removed from the spindle so the tool table  so it should show the same offset each time.

Homing is very good on all axis even the 4th rotary one.

I don't build locos but I do have 1/3rd Burrell traction engine I have been building for many years.  Its mainly model Aircraft I build.

Workshops are a great place for self isolating.

regards

Arthur

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 09:00:01 AM »
If you did not set the offset for  T3, T4 etc then they will be wrong.
Mach has no way to know that it is the same tool as T2.
You must set for each tool.

Bill
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 10:50:26 AM »
Hi Bill

The M6  macro  moves spindle to tool change position and  measures   the tool offset and updates the tool table.
But it is updating table with the wrong offset.

Arthur

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 11:15:52 AM »
I could be very wrong but I think you need to change the selectedtool below to currenttool.

local NewOffset = probedz
  mc.mcToolSetData(inst, mc.MTOOL_MILL_HEIGHT, selectedtool, NewOffset)
  mc.mcCntlSetLastError(inst, string.format("Auto tool setting complete, Offset = %.4f", NewOffset))
wx.wxMessageBox("Toolchange Complete.\nTLO Set")
        end
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2020, 06:42:12 PM »
At last its all working.

I spent most of today going through Daz's tool change videos which helped me understand what was supposed to be happening.   
I think the biggest problem was me not understanding the process.

Using his M6 macro adapted for my machine tool changes  are all working accurately every time

It's at least 10 years since I set up my other machines on Mach3  and they have never given any trouble. (It seemed easier then)

Thanks again

Art

Offline Bill_O

•  563 563
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:49 AM »
What was the issue?
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 04:43:49 PM »
Hi Bill

Not really sure as I reloaded mach4 and started from scratch using Daz videos.

All working well today again

Arthur