Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:14:15 AM

Author Topic: Computer Failure - Problem with new computer and Gecko540 Driving machine  (Read 1771 times)

History - 5 years with Mach 3 operating on XP with Parallel port to a Gecko 540
             Using Nema 23's (one slave on dual acme screws for Y)

Situation - Computer starts acting up with what appears to be a hard drive failure.
                Recovered all files from Disk.
                Purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 780 with parallel port.
                (Faster processor / More RAM / Bigger HD even if only used for this machine)
                Dropped recovered file folder on new drive. 
                Executed the Setup file from within the MACH3 Folder
                Launched Mach 3
                Mach 3 opens.
                Selected G540VDF.xml profile (as usual) and it loads,
                Software appears to work.
                Verified all setting for ports and pins are correct. 

Problem     1)  Motor Tuning screen will not open
                2)  When Parallel port is hooked up machine does not drive axis. No movement X,Y,Z, any reference DRO's etc
                3)  When Estop is cleared 1 beep is sounded on computer.

Actions      G540 site required Bios to load parallel port as EPP mode (Verified)
                 Checked Mach3 Licence file present.
                 Downloaded another copy of Mach3. Have not loaded yet

Issue.        When attempting to remove software and programs there is not an option to uninstall Mach 3.

Could anyone recommend corrective action.

Thank you - Signed Craig Not the Sharpest Tool in the Woodshed!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
If the motor tuning screen does not open then you do not have the parallel port driver installed, perhaps indicating you have a 64 bit PC.
The parallel port cannot operate with a 64 bit PC (unless anyone can prove otherwise) and also requires a 32 bit OS of Win7 or earlier.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Tweakie,

Thank you for your reply. I have fixed the issue.  I searched around the forum and found a similar problem where someone was moving from one computer to another.  This is where my error came into play.

I attempted to simply move the saved file folders to the my upgraded computer.  Even though I had a clean drive and loaded Windows XP SP3 (32 Bit) on it I still had a couple of problems.  Yes the Parallel port driver was not installed.  By simply moving the file folders it did  not install all required files, drivers, and registration information to the new system.

How it was corrected was to download and install a fresh Mach3 file.  When executed the file it loaded the parallel port driver.  Next, because Mach3 would now only be a DEMO version without purchasing a licence, I located my licence file under the old Mach3 folder and simply dropped it into the newly created Mach3 folder.

Since I use a Gecko 540 I had the screen file G540VFD.xml but it was set to default.  Luckily I had taken pictures of all my configuration screens before losing the old system.  I had to correct multiple ports and pin assignments and set motor tuning.

My take away is to create a specific screen profile and SAVE SAVE SAVE.  Put it somewhere along with the licencing file should it be needed in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback as well as to all others who invest time in the forum helping to serve others.
You are not unappreciated

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Excellent. I am pleased to hear you have found the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE