Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:19:38 PM

Author Topic: Easy G M Code lookup  (Read 1269 times)

Easy G M Code lookup
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:25:29 PM »
When browsing or editing GCode, I usually encounter a code I am not familiar with. This requires multiple steps to find the definition. I am currently starting to explore 3DPrinting as well as CNC and this opens up a whole new set of G and M codes. To make it easier to figure out what is going on I decided I wanted a dictionary like function which would allow me to highlight a G/M code in notepad++ and pop up a definition using a simple hotkey. After investigating dictionary programs with personal glossaries, the only one I found which had the capabilities I wanted was WordWeb. Unfortunately the free version did not allow personal glossaries, so I had to splurge for the pro version which runs about $19. I am not affiliated in any way. If anyone is interested, I attached some files that can be used to fill a private glossary. You open the file in a text editor, select all and copy, then go into the WordWeb edit tab, edit glossary, add, give it a name, and then paste the clipboard to load the g and m code definitions. Once loaded in Wordweb, highlighting a GCode in any program, and hitting <cntr><RMouse> pops up any definitions in the glossaries. I found sources online for Mach4 and two 3D printer code definitions and used the info to create these files. I tried to do basic editing and no value added changes to keep from adding errors. I did the best I could, but there could be errors and contradictory/overlapping definitions. I use these to figure out what is going on when I browse an existing file. I would use something more reliable and detailed if I was editing one. If something is wrong, it is pretty easy to edit the glossary in Wordweb to fix it or add more info. I will not be maintaining these, so don't send me corrections.

JonasB