Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:02:22 AM

Author Topic: Slaving Y axis with B Axis  (Read 1399 times)

Slaving Y axis with B Axis
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:41:12 AM »
I have a  5-Axis STB5100 USB Motion Card (XYZAB) and I am trying to convert from parallel port to USB. When the machine used the parallel port I had the A axis slaved to Y axis and it worked fine. I have fitted the USB card in place of the breakout board and plan to have a rotary axis in the future so I have reserved the A axis for that and so am trying to use the B axis as the slave. Try as I might, I cannot get the slave axis to move. Evidently this board does not recognise slaving axes. Is it possible to hook two motors to one driver or can I hook up two drivers to one port on the board and acheive the slaving that way?
Any help would be appreciated.
Jim F.
Re: Slaving Y axis with B Axis
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 02:42:54 AM »
Hi there

I have exactly the same problem, have you had any success? please share

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 03:10:50 AM »
Hi Boer007,

Welcome to the forum.

Which motion controller board are you using ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 04:01:31 AM »
thanks for the reply,

i have the STB5100 controller.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2020, 04:16:58 AM »
i actually want the Y axis and the A axis to work together. But i have read everything and all the manuals and all the you tube stuff, and no success, i am on the point to join the wires, ha ha ha hopefully you will be able to send me in the perfect direction.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2020, 04:39:05 AM »
Sorry but I cant be of much help as I have never used the Mach3 plugin for that particular motion controller. If the plugin does not support Mach3 slaved axis operation then the best way forward would be a better quality motion controller (Warp9 ESS, CNC Drive UC300E, etc.).
There are many reasons why it is not a good idea to join the wires to slave two axes but I am sure that many have tried it.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 04:44:58 AM »
thank you for the reply..

Yea maybe i should look at another motion controller, what do you suggest?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 05:12:12 AM »
I think you should ignore the cheap Chinese controllers (which have no customer support) and choose one of the EU or USA manufactured products such as the Warp9 ESS or the CNC Drive UC300E or the Pokeys 57CNC, etc.

Please bear in mind that Mach3 in now obsolescent and no longer supported having been superceeded by Mach4.
The motion controllers I have mentioned will operate with Mach3 also operate with Mach4 if you ever need to change at some time in the future.

I use (on different machines) the ESS, 57CNC and UC400ETH controllers, each have their own merrits but they all support slave axis operation with Mach3 (and Mach4).

Perhaps check out the websites of the controllers I have mentioned and also browse the forum a little before making any decision.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 07:49:21 AM »
what would you say is the difference between Mach3 and Mach4?  Worth it to move to mach4?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2020, 08:25:51 AM »
what would you say is the difference between Mach3 and Mach4?  Worth it to move to mach4?

Mach3 has been around for a long time now and it became difficult for the software engineers to incorporate improvements so Mach4 was born. Mach4 is new from the ground up and can offer so many more refinements of screen design and customization of use.
Having said that I have both Mach3 and Mach4 - I only occasionally use Mach4 as Mach3 is still used for all production work (at least until covid created a lock-down and closed my workshop facility). I think I am now looking towards retirement so perhaps I will never use Mach4 for anything except testing & experimentation. If, on the other hand, you have great CNC plans for the future then forget Mach3 and look towards Mach4 which is the future.

Tweakie.
PEACE