Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:40:04 AM

Author Topic: VCarve/Mach4 issues  (Read 2484 times)

VCarve/Mach4 issues
« on: February 28, 2020, 06:52:25 PM »
I am just bought the AvidCNC Pro, and am using VCarve Pro for design software and Mach4 for machine software. I am running into two main problems now.

1.) When I move my design/toolpaths from VCarve into Mach4, it is shrinking my projects. It is cutting the projects to scale, however significantly smaller than it is designed in VCarve. I can not find what I am doing wrong, so any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2.) My auto Z touch plate is not functioning properly. 50% of the time, the bit does not recognize when it makes contact with the plate and continues to push down until I have to press the emergency stop button on the CNC. I use the same process every time, so am not sure why it works properly half the time and then goes hay wire the other half.

Again, any help and ideas are greatly appreciated!
Re: VCarve/Mach4 issues
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 12:24:03 PM »
With regards to VCarve.  Are you designing in mm or in?  Did you use the appropriate post processor? Can you determine how much it is scaling down?

As to probe.  Bad Connection, broken probe wire, electrical noise.

HTH

RT
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:28:50 PM »
I was able to resolve the scaling issue. At first I triple checked all of the potential causes you asked about, but it ended being a mistake we made during initial setup of our machine, selecting the incorrect motor. Once I changed it to the larger motor we are using, it resolved the scaling issue 100%.

It may be a fluke, but since I corrected the mistake with motor selection, the Z Touch Plate has been working properly.....so far! I will definitely keep your tips in mind in case the issues resurface. Thanks a lot for your response! We're in the big learning curve with this venture, so we appreciate all the help we can get.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 02:37:13 PM »
I have run into another issue, with doing a manual tool change. The machine is not stopping for the tool change. I have read some forums about this same issue, but I can not figure out how to resolve this.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 03:29:01 PM »
Are you using the Mach2/3 ATC arcs(inch) post processor or the Mach2/3 arcs(inch)?  ATC stands for Automatic Tool Changer.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 07:01:04 PM »
I am actually using the Avid CNC (inch) (*.txt) post processor. Because I am working in Mach4, I wasn't aware I could utilize either of the processors you mentioned. I do not have the ATC setup on my CNC, so should I be using the Mach2/3 arcs(inch) post processor?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
Mach4 has a more pure fanuc implementation than Mach3.  You should probably be asking the vcarve forum this question.  I believe that any vectric post processor that does not have ATC won't let you combine different tool toolpaths in one file.

HTH
RT
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 11:11:48 AM »
Did a rethink on this and you should be able to use the ATC version.  Check your M6.mcs macro and make sure there is a mc.mcCntlToolChangeManual(inst, true);  The Mach Core API does not have the second parameter 'true' but the stock one does.  Not sure if it makes a difference.  You have to define where you want the machine to go to on the manual tool change.

HTH

RT