Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:45:07 PM

Author Topic: HiCon Integra: Motion Buffer Packet Loss?  (Read 2619 times)

HiCon Integra: Motion Buffer Packet Loss?
« on: February 05, 2020, 07:49:15 PM »
I'm running mach4 with a HiCon Integra on a Windows 10 machine.  Crossover ethernet cable from PC to HiCON.

It ran fantastic for a year or so and out of the blue it has been stopping during machining.  It is no particular axis motion when it halts.  What is common is the error message(s):

ERROR: Motion Buffer Packet Loss: Plugin %d Ctrl %d
(Above is what I see when I open  Mach4 history)

When I open the Mach4 loader page I see:
###WARNING: Reduced Timer Socket receive rate (40 pkts/sec)
###WARNING: Reduced Timer Socket receive rate (0 pkts/sec)
ERROR: Connection to HiCON has timed out
ERROR: No HiCON Controller Found

From here, I have to turn off the HiCON power supplies and restart it.  I'm using two seperate power supplies for operate the HiCON (+5vdc & seperate +24vdc) 

The sequence I follow is:
Power up+5vdc then +24vdc to turn on. 
Power down +24vdc then +5vdc to turn off

**  5vdc supply is solid at 4.99v (reading with DMM)(I can read with oscilloscope too, but don't have reference traces for what the HiCON considers to be a nice stable 5vdc signal.  This one is pretty smooth - relative to my opinion, of course.
**  24vdc supply is 24.16 and stable

I haven't made any changes to cables, power supplies, other hardware etc..  Nor introduced any new machinery or sources of noise to the area.  Again, out of the blue this error has surfaced.  Not sure if I need to focus on the HiCON or the ethernet comms.  It appears that the packets are sent but not receiving the "received" response from the HiCONN.

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:09:38 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
Re: HiCon Integra: Motion Buffer Packet Loss?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 08:35:07 AM »
Hello InterchangeIT

Try using a different Ethernet cable or it could be a case of improper connection.
If you are using a switch or daisy chaining Ethernet cables that could also be a cause for packet loss. Were there any recent software changes on your PC related to networking like driver updates that may be a causing this?
Unfortunately replacing the Ethernet cable did not yield results.  At this point it seems the "activation" file may also be corrupt.  The error I received this morning is attached (unable to ARM drive code=355).   I can load the software and profile but the E-stop button on the screen appears to be activated while no E-stop functions are tripped.  I read in other forum discussions that the "Activation key" may be corrupt.

Details for the error received this morning are attached.  Until this is cleared I cannot proceed:
original board ord#: 44232

Is there a definition list of error codes.  I'm actually not sure if this is a HiCon error code or Mach error code so please forgive me if I'm inquiring up the wrong tree.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 12:54:30 PM »
http://www.vitalsystem.com/portal/motion/VSI_Device_Manager_Manual.pdf

As shown on page 20 of the above guide make sure J7 and J8 are unchecked and hit the download button.

Here is the link to the latest plugin and firmware download.
http://www.vitalsystem.com/portal/motion/hicon/hicon_integra/downloads/

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2021, 11:37:06 AM »
I know this is a very old thread.  However, I had this issue pop up on my machine that had been running great.
It turns out that 1 port on my ethernet switch decided to go bad.  Changed ports and everything is working just fine now.
Chad Byrd