Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:17:20 AM

Author Topic: lost steps/ motor stall with tripple beast  (Read 1115 times)

lost steps/ motor stall with tripple beast
« on: January 20, 2020, 01:22:03 AM »
Good morning,

this weekend i had some serious troubles with my CNC Mill (it is Paulimot F207 with stppers attached)

When i was moving my axles with my usb handwheel everything was fine, even up to  1000mm/min.

As sonn as i eneterd G code to the MDI page to move my X Axis the motor stalled.  Squeeling sound and no movement on the axis.
Never had this happen before.
I tried to lower the max speed and acceleration of the x axis. y funktions still like it is supposed to.
Even when i entered G1x20 f400 with motor tuning accerleration turned down to 100!!  i got this problem.

It seemed to be an issue when i change direction of x movement. so befor i got from 0 to 20mm after that back to zero direction changed and motor stalled.

I also tried to cut backlash speed down to 30% of max. Still the same. The speed and acceleration values seem to be very low so this should not be a problem.

Interesting part is that with the CNC handwheel everything moves as it should be.
Could there ba any setting in MAch that causes this Problem?

I run MAch 3 on a clean Win XP with a Ethernet smooth stepper and tripple beast controller.

Only thing i changed is i added a 4th axis. also noticed some stalling of the 4th axis which ran perfectly before.

I have no idea whats going on.

thanks in advance
best regards
archer

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: lost steps/ motor stall with tripple beast
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:11:30 AM »
hello, i think your Problem is the power supply, just deconnect your 4th axis (Motor) and try again.

Hallo, ich denke das Problem liegt an dem Netzteil, einfach mal die 4te Achse abklemmen (Motor) und dann noch mal probieren.
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 02:30:46 AM »
Thanks, i havent tried this yet but i will as sonn as i get off work today.
Strange thing is that with the USB handwheel everything works great even with 4th axis enabled.
only the g code is giving me bugs...

is it possible that when running G code the other axles are somehow locked and drawing more current than when running usb wheel jog only?

looking forward on trying this!

Ill let you know.

Thanks

EDIT: just checked the power supply. Its only 350 Watss 6.7 Amps @ 48V, really might be the Problem!
I had troubles running the steppers with faster aceleration. noticing that i run 3 Nema 23 with 4,2A each. might be the reason.
i guess they draw a bit more when accelerating. with only 6,7A supply that might get a bit problematic.
and off to amazon for a 48V 15A supply....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 02:43:49 AM by archerknives »
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 02:03:12 AM »
Good Morning,

tried disconnecting the 4th axis yesterday and did some milling. Still lost steps. Have no Idea why.
It worked without the 4th axis before, but now it sometimes does strange things. got lost steps and after that it worked fine for some more passes and lost steps/stalled again. even with very low feed of 300-400...

ill change the power supply as soon as it arrives (12,5A@48V) and hope it gets better.
 if not ill maybe change the stepper from y to x and see if the problem follows.

Any more ideas? may there be some mach settings off?

Thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 02:16:58 AM »
i switched the x and y axis to see if the problem stays at x Axis or not. when driving the x axis with y Axis controll the problem still stays at the X Axis. so its not the Controller. Also found out that the controller was set to 3,2A for X Axis (4,2A Stepper) but it didnt change a thing (y axis was at 4,2A) it is very strange that it doesnt show a difference  if 3,2 or 4,2 A is set. 4,2 should give it a whole lot more torque and therefore minimixing stall/lost steps.

eighter the x Stepper Motor is somehow damaged or Mach 3 put out wrong or strange signals...

Any Idea would be greatly appreciated

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:30:33 AM »
maybe you can swap X and Y Motors?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 02:44:50 AM »
thats the next thing ill try...
Didnt have time to try the last days.