Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:48:03 AM

Author Topic: MACH4 AND POKEYS57CNC CANNOT SET SPINDLE SPEED  (Read 2361 times)

MACH4 AND POKEYS57CNC CANNOT SET SPINDLE SPEED
« on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:21 PM »
Hello all!

I have an issue that I cannot set the spindle speed using Mach4.  If I set the VFD to set the speed using it's control panel I can change the speed with no issues.  If I leave this setting on the VFD I can turn the spindle on and off in Mach4 and adjust the spindle speed with the VFD potentiometer.

The problem is when I try to set the spindle speed with Mach4.  I cannot get the configuration correct so I can output 0-10V across Pin17 (PWM).

In Mach Output Signals I have Spindle On set to PoKeys_*********XX PE Relay 1.  This works for turning on and off the spindle. 

I also have Spindle Fwd set to PoKeys_*********X Pin 17(out).  This does not work.

In the Pokeys57CNC Plugin configuration Miscellaneous Tab I have Enable PWM Outputs checked, PWM frequency set to 20000, Enable Pin 17, Spindle output to Pin 17 and Set to 0 when OFF checked.

I have a NOWFOREVER VFD and the Relay 1 output connected to X1 and Com.  This works to turn the spindle on and off.

I have GNDi and Pin 17 from the Pokeys57CNC connected to AIN1 and Com on the VFD.

As far as I know by looking at the NOWFOREVER VFD manual this is correct.   Additionally I have set the VFD setting to accept the signal to AIN1 for setting spindle speed.

However if I probe GNDi and Pin 17 on the Pokeys57CNC board it is always flat at 0V even when setting the speed.

Now an interesting point is if I use the Pokeys V4.4.5 Configuration Software and go to the Peripherals -> PWM Outputs Tab and manually set the output on Pin 17 (PWM 5) I get the proper voltage output across Pin 17 and GNDi on the Pokeys57CNC board.

So I know I dancing very close around the solution however I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Can anyone give me a clue on what I am missing?

Thank you.
Re: MACH4 AND POKEYS57CNC CANNOT SET SPINDLE SPEED
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
For anyone who has this issue in the future.

Ok so I figured this one out.  Turns out that Pokeys57CNC and Mach4 don't play nice when you set the Spindle Mode to "Const. Surface" (On Mach4 Control, Defaults Tab).  There is no literature on this!  I changed this thinking it would be good for surface finish. 

Mach4 and PoScope:  If your're reading this please update your appropriate manuals!

The only way I found a way out of this is to randomly cycle through changes, fumbling my way through.  Seems a very hackish way to go about things.

Thanks.
Re: MACH4 AND POKEYS57CNC CANNOT SET SPINDLE SPEED
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 01:56:56 PM »
For anyone who has this issue in the future.

Ok so I figured this one out.  Turns out that Pokeys57CNC and Mach4 don't play nice when you set the Spindle Mode to "Const. Surface" (On Mach4 Control, Defaults Tab).  There is no literature on this!  I changed this thinking it would be good for surface finish. 

Mach4 and PoScope:  If your're reading this please update your appropriate manuals!

The only way I found a way out of this is to randomly cycle through changes, fumbling my way through.  Seems a very hackish way to go about things.

Thanks.
Thank you!