Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:03:03 PM

Author Topic: Tired of old ebay Dells, need to build a computer that will work and LAST  (Read 1051 times)

I had a computer built but the modern mb's port adress would not work on mach3.
I did a search for motherboards user friendly to mach and came up with these two.
Asus - M2N68-AM SE2. Which seems to be old used stuff with rs232 connections
GA-8 SIMLH P4 Titan-DDR, that has usb and ethernet connections.
Is there another option? I'm running on a rs232 cable and the machine runs great until the damn computer dies.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
i_r_
Hi,
why not get an external motion controller like an Ethernet SmoothStepper or UC300? Then you could use just about
any PC you like including the kids cast off Windows10 laptop.

What you are doing is like going out to buy a new or at least a modern car second hand but insisting that it have 'trembler'
ignition because Model T Fords had 'trembler' ignition.

If you really want to stick with a parallel port then buy a PCI to parallel card from PMDX then all you need is a PCI slot
on the motherboard, even PCI slots are going away and are replaced by PCIe. Of course you'll have to stick with Windows 7 32 bit or
earlier if you want to run a parallel port.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
When I did this retrofit, there were no ethernet or usb connections available. Alot has changed. Will the external motion controller replace my Bob Campbell break out board or my Viper 200 drives? Or just be an extra link in the chain of command?
Thanks
i_r_
Hi,
either the ESS or the UC300 would be an extra link in the chain, you would (probably) retain the existing breakout board
and certainly the drivers.

Either of the devices I've suggested will be less than $200USD....is that not cheaper than a new PC?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
2 bills is no problem. Utubed it and that looks like the way to go.
Thanks!
i_r_