Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:28:13 AM

Author Topic: Carbide Create with Mach 3  (Read 2847 times)

Carbide Create with Mach 3
« on: December 08, 2019, 03:22:06 PM »
I have created a simple engraving GCode file using Carbide Create.  I load it into my Mach 3 and can see the cutter paths in the display.  When I run it it seems that the machine movements are very small, not to any scale.  I previously was using CATIA for my gcode but is was very complex and I felt the Carbide Create would be easier.  I am looking for any help or advise on this problem or even suggesting a better cad gcode generator.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Carbide Create with Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:20:07 PM »
You don't need any fancy cad / cam  program to do engraving work.
For quality engraving work the secret is producing a quality cad drawing of the engraving work by using arcs and lines minimizing the number of lines and arcs used. Engraving at a higher level is a form of art. When done in this manner it will reduce the amount of generated gcode and machine time. You have total control over what you want to accomplish.

FWIW,
RICH

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 02:03:57 AM »
Hi Jeff,

Check out F-Engrave - it is Free, easy to use and can produce brilliant results.

(I have used it to V-Carve 1.5 Mtr. signs in Teak and at the other end of the scale to rotary engrave 0.5mm high text).

https://www.scorchworks.com/Fengrave/fengrave.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 09:23:27 PM »
I downloaded the F Engrave and found it to be very easy to use.  I created a quick gcode and loaded it into my Mach3.  It still seems to be running very “small” compared to the size of the .5” tall letters.  I am stumped.  I thought maybe there was some Metric unit conversion fouling up the run but I can not find anything.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 01:33:46 AM »
Sounds like you either have Mach3 set-up in Millimetre units and your generated Gcode is in Inch units or that your Steps Per Units are set incorrectly in Motor Tuning.

Try running the 'Set Steps per Unit' calibration feature (Mach3 Settings page) Is it producing correct distances ?

PEACE

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 06:47:11 PM »
Have a look at the first few lines of gcode and if it has a G71 or G21 then the code is metric if it G70 or G20 then its imperial code.
Without engineers the world stops