Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:22:20 AM

Author Topic: CNC router spindle and z axis problem  (Read 2365 times)

CNC router spindle and z axis problem
« on: November 13, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
Hi. Thanks in advance for any help.
My employer (school) purchased a CNC router and table (8' x 4') a few years back from Marchant dice. A weeks or so ago the z axis stepper plunged the bit into the work piece and the spindle made a horrible grinding noise  -I assumed that the z axis stepper was damaged as the wires at the back were loose but I replaced it and the same thing is happening. The machine had been working fine but it was switched off completely for a few weeks. Is it possible that doing this has caused mach3 to lose it's marbles? Can anyone help me with getting it up and running? I've tried contacting Marchant dice but they aren't in business anymore.
Re: CNC router spindle and z axis problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 05:50:41 AM »
It sounds like the stepper driver may have failed if it is not allowing you to properly control the axis. I would connect a different axis motor to the z output and, taking care, manually drive the axis to see if the z axis is ok moving on that axis controller. then try another axis on the z stepper driver output to see if that fails. this will point it out.

Marchant dice no longer trade as MD, but they now run as Bionica Systems, from the same business unit. https://www.bionicasystems.com/

I have an MD unit, but a smaller A3 machine, bought years ago. i have had to replace my stepper drivers as they failed.