Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:18:22 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Hobby Screen Editor  (Read 3663 times)

Re: Mach4 Hobby Screen Editor
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 03:47:24 PM »
I certainly agree that "...Ditching that awful profile and compose your own..." would solve the problem.

Unfortunately, when I create a new profile using the "Create Profile", Mach asks for a screen set in the "Profile Information" box. Since all of the .set files in the Mach4 "Screens" folder (including "blank.set") give me the same screen as shown in the attachment I posted, I still have the same problem. (The "DYNA 2800" profile that appears in the lower right of the attachment was created this way).

I appreciate all your suggestions.

I think I should probably assume that the installation of Mach4 was somehow corrupted and I should re-install it (hoping that will get a screen set installed that has all the menu tabs it is supposed to have!). I really had hoped to avoid that, since in means going through the SmoothStepper set-up again, but if that's what it takes, so be it...
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »
Hi,
I think you are right. If Machs GUI becomes corrupt or upset it will revert to wxMach and that is what it appears your installation has done.

Unless you are likely to lose a lot of work I would suggest a total re-install. May I suggest that when you go to create a new profile
establish that you can in fact select a desired screen set.....who cares about the other settings for the moment...you will never be happy
until you get to the bottom of the screen set problem.

Hopefully smurph will read this post and give us all a few clues as to why and when this happens.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 09:33:16 PM »
Sounds like your launching wxMach and not Mach4GUI. Some lesser motion devices only work with a very limited version of Mach4 and their plugin can cause you all levels of grief. The authentic ESS is not one of them though.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Well, I think I (well, we - thanks for all for your comments & suggestions that got me pointed in the right direction) have this resolved...

I removed wxMach.exe from the "Mach4Hobby" folder, changed the "Target" on the Mach4 desktop shortcut to Mach4GUI.exe (it was also in the "Mach4Hobby" folder). Click the shortcut, the "Profile" selection screen appears with all the profiles, including the test ones I created while working on the problem. I select the profile I'd created for the Dyna2800 (using wxMach), and Shazam! The correct Screenset appears, motors, limit/homing functions work correctly, and it downloads and runs gcode seemingly without any problems (well, one minor one- the "keyboard jog" function isn't working, but hopefully I'll figure that out pretty quickly).

I don't remember if Mach created the desktop shortcut or I did (likely me), but it looks like the whole problem was Mach was doing just what it was told to do, i.e., launch the wxMach screen set.

I hate it when computers do what I tell them to do, and not what I want them to do...

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 02:58:05 AM »
Well let that be a very big warning for you when using your pc as a CNC controller with Mach4 it will do exactly what the Gcode tells not what you think it will do

As you have just learned a computer is not intelligent is very very dumb as of yet it’s not AI

Have fun
Stuart

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »
It isn't the profile.  He is running wxMach.exe instead of Mach4GUI.exe.  There should be more icons to run the Mach4 loader. 

Steve