Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:57:38 AM

Author Topic: what the? coilwinder!  (Read 1425 times)

what the? coilwinder!
« on: November 04, 2019, 05:01:22 AM »
i had to rebuild an induction coil from, iunno... 1890? the lovely smell of silk-wound rosin-sealed paper-insulated coils...

anyway. whatever. thats irrelevant.

but i did have to whip up a quick winder, what with 12000+ turns...(took me a day to unwind, and of course my counter decided to stop at 3000 or so...) pulled apart the old 3dprinter, started looking at arduino, the cruddy board from the printer, saw accelstepper, screamed, stole the gecko g540 from my mill instead... gcode is so much easier...

my code.

g21 g91 (metric, incremental, no need to zero or home)
f10000
m98 p1 l100
m30
o1
m98 p2 l100
m1
m98 p3 l100
m1
m99
o2
g01 x0.25 a360
m99
o3
g01 x-0.25 a360
m99

pretty simple. allows me to enter different coils nice and easy.
P1 L(x) is half the number of layers.
P2 is feed right, wire diameter, rotate A, however many times it needs to be.
P3 is return to zero but keep rotating A.
pausing after each layer to wrap it in paper.

obviously incremental so i can keep spinning that A. i might change that to 359 degrees though, so i can stagger the overlaps of insulation... makes a big lump otherwise.

so, it seems to be working, and i did figure out the one actual ISSUE i had, which was it would keep incrementing up by 0.25 every cycle... as far as i can tell, i had the P1 M99 command right at the end of everything rather than at the end of that particular subroutine (line 10 was my last line previously)... newbie, can you tell? just figuring out where the M30 is meant to go took a while!

i havent actually wound the second coil yet, so im yet to see. my dry run worked as expected this time. (had to hit Estop every few layers and nudge the feeder back over a smidge on the first one...)

so.

what i am getting still is the toolpath display seems to reset after traveling approx 20.75mm either way.

its not an issue, it still seems to function fine... but is anyone else getting the same thing if they try to run it?

and if so, WHY? ive never had any g-code do that before!

i doubt its the demo mode being the blame. (it is licensed, i just havent registered it yet. only blew the dust off that PC yesterday and installed mach3. keep meaning to find an old copy of XP and do a format/reinstall... nice clean CNC dedicated puter for once! ha ha. i will miss the sound media player makes when you fire up mach3...)

what else? there was something else bugging me... um...

oh! yeah!

any ideas how to count the number of cycles? i prefer to have my 360 rollover enabled, and i guess i could just leave it and divide by 360, but it would be nice to know exactly how many turns and layers i have completed...

is there a limit to how high it can display, btw?

this wire is 0.2mm under the silk. it tends to break occasionally (i blame the rosin and the quick and nasty tensioner/wire guide...). its pretty tricky to get going again, and all too easy to lose track...

and as i have a roll of 0.1 for future coils (wee! 50,000 turns!) it may be handy if i can just glance at the screen and know...

yeah yeah... just use an endstop switch or a trigger on the shaft... its just... i dont wanna open the box my gecko lives in to attach extra wires!

yeah yeah... just stick a socket in the gecko box and plug in and then i can simply unplug... like, i do have switches on the CNCmill, right? i had to undo them, right?

yeah...right... wink wink.  theres only ONE important switch! that massive red one...

it would be nice to do it with the software instead... i spent longer making the bobbin supports than i did making the winder itself... switches are a hassle! meant to be winding coils, not making coil winders...

ah well. its good to actually write some code after a 1year hiatus... even better when its got practical benefits rather than making a mess...

Offline ZASto

•  423 423
    • View Profile
Re: what the? coilwinder!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:20:32 AM »
Did you took a peek at the Coil winder screen set?
It's there, you can download it from NFS :)
You will for sure have to modify VB code in it.
Make no mistake between my personality and my attitude.
My personality is who I am.
My attitude depends on who you are.
Re: what the? coilwinder!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
i just KNEW there would be a screen or someone with an app out for it... lol.

iunno. i just made a winder cus i needed something better than what i had.. 's'nuff for me... for now.

modify...? :o

VB code...?  ???

AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGH!!!!!!

i shall go have look see though...