Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:53:07 AM

Author Topic: Step and Dir Spindle and A axis with 1 motor 1 drive how?  (Read 3360 times)

Step and Dir Spindle and A axis with 1 motor 1 drive how?
« on: September 19, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »
I have a servo motor running as a spindle motor using step and direction outputs from Mach 3. This works well.  I also need the spindle motor to turn a tool changer when not cutting. I have used all my other outputs and I can only use the step and direction outputs for the spindle for the A xis. Same motor same drive. If I use the same pin numbers in Mach it complains that the spindle and the A use the same pins.
Is there a way to set up Mach 3 to use the same outputs drive and motor as a spindle and a rotary at the same time?

thanks,

Offline MN300

•  297 297
    • View Profile
Re: Step and Dir Spindle and A axis with 1 motor 1 drive how?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:21:37 PM »
I assume you are saying that you want to run two different drives and motors from one set of outputs. A relay could switch the outputs from one drive to the other or switch enable signals. The problem is how to drive that relay if all outputs are in use.
One way would be to use micro-switches or proximity sensors to determine if the spindle is at the tool change location. When the spindle is at the tool change location the relay would redirect the drive signals. You would have to check enough axes to make sure you are actually at the location and not just passing through while machining.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 05:26:13 PM »
1 motor 1 drive. The motor needs to act like a spindle motor when cutting and act like a rotary during tool changes.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:13:37 AM »
Assign different pins for the A axis and the use SwapAxis() feature to change when required.
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »
Hood,
I have ran out of outputs on both my breakout boards. I am saving the last two for a trunnion table. Any way to do this without using another axis output? All my other outputs and inputs are taken up by machine functions.

thanks,

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »
iF you assign teh same pin/port numbers for spindle and axis control what exactly does Mach3 do today. Many years back We used that same process to run a S/D spindle as Spindle and Caxis without a problem. BUT that was with a LPT port version of mach3.

What controller are you running ??

You say Mach3 complains about that. HOW does it complain ? will it still run teh Axis both ways ??

(;-) TP
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 10:16:54 AM »
It keeps popping up a complaint saying the ports and pins are used multiple times. After a while of clicking ok it goes away. It seems it will use one axis randomly and not the other. . example. If I tell it to spin the spindle it works. Then stop the spindle and move the A. The A does not work. Next time the A might work but the spindle does not work. I am NOT trying to use them both at the same time.
Mach does seem a bit unhappy and confused.

thanks,

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 10:20:19 AM »
What controller are you using ??

(;-) TP
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 10:22:13 AM »
I have a USB Smooth Stepper in there with two old Bob Campbell breakouts. Mach 3 on a Windows 7 PC.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »
I beleive you will find that teh ESS is causing that problem not Mach3 (;-)

(;-) TP