Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:11:02 AM

Author Topic: 3D Probe Tool 1, Tool Height Setter, Tool Offset, Unsure on setup.  (Read 993 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
3D Probe Tool 1, Tool Height Setter, Tool Offset, Unsure on setup.
« on: September 07, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
I have a 3D probe that I plan to leave as tool 1. I am guessing this should also be my master tool?
I also plan to have another probe mounted as the tool heght setter on the back corner. This is the same probe but has a flat plate instead of the probe tip.
How do I do the Z calibration of the Probe set as tool 1? The tool height setter and the probe are spring loaded and require some amount of movement to trip.
If I try to do a Z calibration of the 3D Tool 1 probe to the tool height setter then the tool height setter will have some give before the probe trips.
I am just not sure how to do all this stuff so everything works out and when the real tools get measured off the tool height setter probe that it comes out right.
I am looking for advice or links to read how this should be done.
Right now I do not have the tool height setter mounted yet. All my tools will not reach it until I make something to lift it off the table higher. This is my next mission.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 05:52:13 PM by jevs »

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Probe Tool 1, Tool Height Setter, Tool Offset, Unsure on setup.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:50:07 PM »
If you have an ER collet type spindle that has no fixed end position then this is NOT for you.

If you have a quick change spindle e.g. BT30, CAT40 or similar then the end of the spindle is fixed and tool holders will always go back in the same place.

The first thing to do is work out the distance from the home position in Z to the top of the table using the end of the spindle and store that in a user #number.

To do this remove any tool holder from the spindle, home the Z axis then using a 100mm/4" slip block (most machines will not touch the spindle end on the table) feel the slip block in under the spindle. The Z axis machine DRO plus the slip block length is the figure you want.

Then you measure the distance from the end of the spindle probe to the end of the spindle and store that in another #number.

To do this put a clock in a mag base and touch the probe end on the clock, find the lowest point, zero the clock and z axis then move the machine to touch the end of the spindle on the clock until it reads zero. Read the distance from the z axis DRO.

Then you measure the distance from the spindle end to the top of the tool setter and store that.

With these 3 values you can work out tool lengths and set fixtures.

This way every tool has a length offset even the probe and once set and recorded they can be selected and its known length put into the offset and used without needing to be re-measured.

Without engineers the world stops

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
I have BT30 tooling, however all the tools have a bearing on them and stay in the turret. The turret is never clear of the spindle. I will have to see how I can get something up  there and if there is a part of the spindle not blocked by the turret. I dont recall.
A 4 inch block will never reach the spindle from the table. I will have to figure something else for that.
 I will have to jack my tool setter 4 inches extra off the table for my shortest tool to be able to hit it. I guess i am going to have to buy something to measure this...
In this scenario I guess there is no master tool and every tool is actual distance from spindle nose to tool tip?

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 10:23:52 PM »
Looks like I need to find about 9 inch slip gauge block. I wonder how much that will cost if I can find one...

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 02:04:56 AM »
I ordered a set of gage blocks. I can stack them I guess to get them high enough.
I have questions about this though.
"Then you measure the distance from the end of the spindle probe to the end of the spindle and store that in another #number.

To do this put a clock in a mag base and touch the probe end on the clock, find the lowest point, zero the clock and z axis then move the machine to touch the end of the spindle on the clock until it reads zero. Read the distance from the z axis DRO."

Do you want to measure to the tip of the probe or actually measure until the probe signal is tripped? By clock i assume you mean like a dial test indicator?