Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:00:17 AM

Author Topic: Mach 4 cv tuning wizard slider inoperable  (Read 4064 times)

Mach 4 cv tuning wizard slider inoperable
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:19:08 AM »
Good morning, when I go to the cv tuning wizard in mach 4 there are two sliders, the top one is for setting the velocity and the bottom one is for setting cv stop angle. The stop angle slider works just fine but the velocity slider does nothing, meaning when I click on it to move it, it won't move, it stuck in the full left position. The velocity number box just below the slider reads 0.0, when I click in the box and try to type a number it also does nothing. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have searched the forum for help and so far come up empty handed.

Not sure if it makes any difference but I have Mach 4 version 4.2.0.4162

Steve

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 cv tuning wizard slider inoperable
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:17:55 AM »
Hmmmm, I will have to look at that wizard but to be honest it may be going away very soon. Its successor (the mcCvDistTolerance wizard) does a lot better job.

Yes, if you are still running 4162 you should update if you want any of the updated features, wizards, screens, etc. Just make sure you have done everything you should have (and the config. guide recommends) before updating. Updating is a breeze if you have. If you didn't create a custom profile, screen, etc. updating will overwrite your profile and any customizations you may have done.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 10:20:31 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »
OK, got that fixed I think. It will not be in a current release so i will attach it here. Just rename the file (remove the ForForum in the name) and put it in your wizards directory. It will ask if you want to replace the existing file and you will want to. But like i said, I wouldn't use this wizard anyway.  The mcCvDistTolerance wizard does a lot better job.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
Thank you for the information.

When I originally installed mach 4 the version I mentioned above was the latest and greatest version available and it came with the "cv tuning wizard" the "cv distance tolerance wizard" and the "cv feedrate wizard" so for some reason I just assumed that they all worked together as one, so to speak, which to me did not make much sense, because if they were meant to work in this fashion then why have three separate wizards instead of compiling them all into one single wizard to handle the task.

So by you telling me that I should use one wizard instead of the other is even more confusing. How is a person on the outside suppose to know that, unless like in this instance where you informed me of thus?

Prior to downloading and installing Mach 4 I downloaded and read through all the PDF files available for Mach 4 and in my opinion there seems to be a ton of information left uncovered in these manuals.

I have searched the forum for a lot of different information, some times I get lucky and find something useful and sometimes I don't. It takes a lot of valuable time to search the forum and many times it feels like wasted time especially when I come up empty handed.

It sure would be nice if there was a detailed manual or tutorial of some sort that was more in depth than what is currently available. But maybe there is and I just have not been lucky enough to find it yet.

I realize that it may seem like I am venting at this point but I truly am not. I am just very frustrated.

So, anyway, you said that the version 4162 is outdated and I should upgrade. What version do you recommend?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »
No problem. I understand to a degree. But I see all sides of it. Documentation will always be behind development. While there is always documentation to be worked on Mach4's is pretty good and getting better all the time. But not all things require documentation. The documentation for the CvDistTolerance wizard is built into the wizard. This is also true for the the CV tuning wizard but there is doc for it too. It is simply a screenshot of the wizard. When you launch the CvDistTolerance wizard read what each dialog says and you will know about all there is to know about it. It populates the CV feed rate table/wizard. So does the CV tuning wizard, they just do it 2 different ways. You can also manually populate the Cv feedrate wizard (that was the only way until the other wizards were developed). Or run one of the wizards that does then go in and tweak any value you want to. It is all set up to be very flexible because that is what users want and in certain instances legitimately need. However with great power comes great responsibility. From a development/documentation point of view it would be much easier to give users less freedom.

TBH, it does sound a bit like you are venting. It sounds like your upset that you are learning so much. That is not good. If that is the case then you really need to consider if building a CNC really is a hobby of yours. If it isn't you would probably be far better off to hire someone to build it for you or buying a turn key package capable of meeting your requirements. Building CNCs is not like running a mobile phone app. It requires the builder to know and understand certain things (no matter what control you use or where you are staring from). But so does any other hobby. Like hunting for example. Most folks enjoy expanding their knowledge of their hobbies and understand that doing so requires some of their time. If not, Field and Stream, HotRod magazine and a nearly endless list of others would never have existed. They did pretty well even though they did not take the time to define every term in every article a new comer may not be familiar with. I will be the first to admit that most coming to DIY CNC are far less knowledgeable about their new hobby than most wanting to take up hunting or build a Hot Rod. But I also know we can't possibly provide enough information to cover every thing that everybody doesn't know/understand. CNCs are a combination of lots of things. The control is just one part of it. And Mach is the simplest and quickest to learn by a long shot that I have ever seen. But also know that I have been working on CNCs for over 25 years. Electrical, mechanical and electronics for way more than that. I still learn new stuff all the time. If I didn't I would be bored and loose interest. DIY CNC requires you know or learn some things just to get motion. You can stop at that or take it about as far as you want to.

If DIY CNC is truly a hobby of yours read, watch and listen to everything you can find about Mach and CNC in general. Play with Mach. See what all you can find, figure out about it. Break things and fix them. In a nutshell, waste a lot of time and have fun doing it. Always test and play in a copy of your real profile, screen, module, etc. That way if you really break something bad you can go back to your real stuff and start from a known good point. Copy it again and break the new copy too. It's fun, or it should be at least.

Below is a perfect example of the documentation and where you can find the latest release of Mach4 (which is what I recommend). But if 4162 does all you need it to, there is no reason to update. Once I get a machine doing all I want it to I never update it. I put a copy of anything I did custom, plugins, etc. and the installer on a thumb drive so I can restore it if ever needed.

Copied form the Mach4 CNC Controller Config.pdf
"Downloading
Download the installation package from www.machsupport.com . Click on the download link and
save the self-installing file on the desktop or in a convenient folder. Mach4 needs to be install as
administrator, this can be done by right clicking on the self-installing file and telling it to “Run as
Administrator”. If installing in a remote location the installation file can be saved and moved to a
machine that has no web access. The file will require a CD or USB drive to have adequate storage
volume."

Now it doesn't give you a direct link to the latest version. It just takes you to our home page. From there if you hover over Software, Mach4 will be listed in the drop down. Click on it and that takes you to a page that has a link to Download Mach4. This is just one of many ways to get the latest release of Mach4. All of this and multiple other ways could also be added to the documentation but does it really need to be? Typically the shorter you can make the documents the better chance you have of them being read. We purposely condense them to as short as possible but still provide the necessary information.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 09:56:57 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

I don't know who you are and that is fine, I don't need to, but it does sound like you might be a person directly related or involved with NewFangled Solutions. Am I correct in assuming that?

You are correct about some of my situation. I am learning a lot and in my spare time I love to learn as much as I can about pretty much anything worth learning about, which in my case is just about anything. The last 15 years or so, just about every new thing I have learned to do has been self taught through research, reading, experimentation, and doing.

This is more than a hobby for me and I am not a DIY CNC machine builder, however I would like to build my own and do have the knowledge, skill set, tools and ability to do so, I choose not to because I don't have the time to do so. I will never have enough time to do and learn everything I want to, so I have to make decisions and choose my path while weighing my options wisely.

In 2013 I began research on CNC routers for wood working. I am not vastly wealthy, so I learned right away I could not afford a major name brand or higher end machine, nor would it have been a wise choice for a person like me, which at the time, was basically just at an entry level stage to CNC, but I try to make educated, smart and responsible decisions with the resources that I have available to work with.

In 2014 I bought a relatively inexpensive brand new imported Chinese 3 axis router, Mach 3 software, Aspire 4.5 software and a couple of computers. In a relatively short amount of time I had everything up and running. In less than two years I had things dialed in and was producing quality products. For almost 4 years all was good, machine and software performance was great, then out of the blue in early mid 2018 I began to have problems. Mach 3 was acting up with error codes and messages and ultimately would hang and or crash randomly. This went on for several weeks, then my computer began to give me DLL kernel error codes and messages as well, and then it crashed. I had to do a reinstall of XP operating system to get back up and running. I did this three times in as many weeks and after that it ran fine for almost a month with the occasional Mach 3 error code and crash. This went on into late 2018. Then the computer crashed again and doing an operating system reinstall failed to work.

At this point, production came to a complete halt. I immediately began research on all my options to get back up and running. At the time Mach 4 appeared to be the least painful and most sensible option. (I hate to say it and don't want to believe it but I am seriously doubting it now). So in early 2019 I pulled the trigger and purchased Mach 4, a Warp9 ESS card and a new computer. It is now September 2019 and I have yet to resume production. After more than six months of reading, learning and searching the ArtSoft and Warp9 forums for everything under the sun I have yet to produce a single quality project.

I am not a quitter or the type to ever give up (which can be a curse at times) but I am seriously almost there.

The only thing I know for sure is that before all the previously mentioned Mach 3 and computer issues the machine produced great quality products and now with Mach 4 the product quality is crap and unacceptable.

Before I throw in the towel, in an attempt to salvage this Mach 4 set up and make it work properly I am willing to dedicate the time and efforts necessary to do so, if someone out there is willing to do what it takes to help me find resolution.

Thank you,
Steve

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 09:59:15 PM »
Oh by the way I forgot to mention that I downloaded the file you posted for the cv wizard and the slider works now. Thank you.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 11:12:17 PM »
Good deal!, Well, not good your having problems getting going again but good your hanging in there. The hardest thing for me going from Mach3 to Mach4 was me wanting to do things in 4 the same as in 3. That was the toughest part. They are vastly different but for the better by any measurable standard I can come up with.

I have sent you a personal message.

There are people here on the forum that are more than glad to help if they can. We have a good group. Far better than average I would say.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:20:20 PM by Chaoticone »

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 10:25:19 AM »
I will check my messages.

Thank you.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 08:16:47 PM »
hi Chaoticone
first i thanks alot for yours support here its real good
but that point i asked about  2 month ago from mach support (not in this forum and they answer  me that
this is the new version now ,no use any more  for this old CV
BUT
please see the attach image
i tell you i cant use the CV now as you see what happened if i use yours new wizard ,all shape change
i try all options  with change tolerance or change  only x or only y nothing make bater
only when i turn on the old cv i can work ,but now cant change the speed on corner
i real confused about new wizard ,im in china now with new machine install (its not toy ,its big cnc with 850 servomotor)
and with all wizard cant run simple shape while the chines with there most simple hand controller can do
thanks