Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 09:59:58 AM

Author Topic: The new industrial screens in the dev builds  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
The new industrial screens in the dev builds
« on: August 09, 2019, 06:44:27 AM »
Ok this may be a dumb question that I should know the answer

Ok I have a industrial lic for Mach4

With that out of the way, I notice that the screens that are in the ind. dev builds are a dark themed version of the hobby ones , now I have not looked beneath the skirts so I may be barking up the wrong tree

Now to the heart of my post can I continue to use the old ind. screen with the new dev builds or public release when you release it , I have quite a bit of customisations to it an I prefer the layout( less cluttered than the ones now in the dev duilds )

Stuart
Re: The new industrial screens in the dev builds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:59:12 AM »
Hi,
if you have a favoured screen set complete with all your screen tweaks/edits it should have an individualized name.
If you left it with a standard name, say wx4.set for example then when you update to the latest build it will get overwritten
with the newest latest and greatest wx4.set. An individualized copy say Mywx4.set will still exist without alteration
after an update.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »
Yes Craig it already has its own name and is saved outside Mach4

One tip I have found is when you update Mach4 it’s the third screen we’re it asked for a name for mill or lathe leave it blank the installer will search but continue but will not overwrite the screen set

I needed to know if the old ind. screen will be ok to continue to use in the new builds ,it looks like it is but a bit of reassurance  would help

Stuart

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2019, 12:36:55 PM »
Well, it is like this. We maintain the default screens. Users have to maintain their custom screens. The default screens in industrial were changed to be the same as hobby screens strictly to help us keep it all maintainable. I hope this standardization of default things in Mach4 continues. As developers we will change things from time to time. However this does not change anything in your custom screen (assuming of course you have saved your custom screen as something unique/other than a default screen name). But this does not mean that changes we make will not break your custom screen. It just depends on what we change. Take for example our recent move to lua 5.3 from 5.2. This was a necessary change in Mach4 but it may well have broken some users customizations. This is why it is so important to keep good records and copies of your customizations. You may need to edit them any time you update. Naturally we weigh it all out and try to keep such changes to a minimum but it does happen. Just the nature of progress.

Yes, the old Ind. screen should be fine in the new build. But at some point it won't be. Anyone can still use it but it is theirs to maintain if they want to keep using it.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 01:32:01 PM »
Thanks for the very informative reply that is the info I need

Yes I am fully aware that my mods are my responsibility , and yes I do have a record of the mods done by me .

In my working life I used to program BAS ( building automated systems ) when I worked for a UK bank at their computor centre ( note I gave up work 22 years ago early retirement) but that regime is still ingrained .

I always say there are people that back up Their files and those that will

We do not want any” I D ten T “ errors here ( replace the word ten with 10 )

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:55 PM »
We do not want any” I D ten T “ errors here ( replace the word ten with 10 )

:D

Yeah, I have shot myself in the foot before. Sickening feeling.

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!