Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:49:33 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 and latest ESS Driver - threading now works!  (Read 9361 times)

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 and latest ESS Driver - threading now works!
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »
Friends,
I can not thank you enough  for all your input to help me through this. I believe I have a shooting solution!
I ended up using 12v to power the opto, before I here the gasps it is only the opto, the trigger is still 5v that I took directly from the 5v supply not the 5v from the bob, personally I think this makes no difference, I tried also direct input to the ESS via bob  3 pin 13, yes it worked fine, made no difference? Switch back to pin 13 on the bob 2 as an input but still kept 5v directly from the power supply  0v from the bob and used 12v as the opto power. Confusing Maybe but actually it neatened up a few wires I had.
In saying this all this did is "Sweet FA"  Yes couldn't get it to thread, frustration, lots of!
I started searching for different opto switches , ect when I came across the one thing that sent shivers to my bones, Yes you have to tick sync spindle to index box in spindle setup. Yes I am very red faced and do apologise for wasting a lot of peoples time. Still in saying this it took a lot of tweaking to actually make this work, A real lot of tweaking and some of the figures I am going to state maybe a little over the top but they do work well on my lathe and work well.
Firstly for some stupid reason I activate timing and index on mach3 from the same port and pin? Spindle feedback in Sync Mode and Spindle Speed averaging both ticked in Spindle setup Ports and Pins. General Config Mach3 Debounce interval 10000 and Index Debounce 1000. On the ESS Plugin general config Encoder/mpgs filtering 5.00 .
Now I just like to point out the lathe runs very stable, everything works and works extremely well and now Threading works as well, Why I don’t know and have no explanation  3 days of trial and error may have paid off. The only issue I cannot get True rpm readout above 1500rpm, but can still run the spindle to 2000 without an issue.
The pic shows 3 different threads the bottom is a bolt 3/8 UNC but to trial I set it up to cut the first 1/2"which you can see by the different colouring were the lathe cleaned it up, I ran this program 5 times without fail each time had 12 passes. The Brass is the same thread ,the first 1/2" is scrap from trails but the back 1/2" is the new thread that was cut , Not bad I think. The top is a piece is 1020 steel That I cut 1.1/8" UNF but did it 14 times each time decreasing the X by 0.2mm the code took 15 passes each time, Why I wanted to make certain it would index to the same point every pass which it did. I am happy with this.
I hope it keeps behaving itself!!
Cheers
Kahoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »
Happy threading!
Cheers
Roger
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2021, 09:26:35 PM »
Is there any documentation on the ESS features to read encoder feedback for tapping? I haven't been able to find any documentation. I have an AC servo as a spindle motor (mill, connected via a geared timing belt, right now 2:1 ratio, controlled via step/dir) and want to try out tapping in aluminum.

I have the encoder feedback read into Mach3 as MPG#1 and it's working well. However when I try to use the PID control the spindle RPM control is not great. I have tried to play around with the PID parameters but haven't gotten anything to work well. I am guessing the Mach3 PID control feedback and the servo driver controller are fighting each other. I don't need spindle RPM feedback, but just to tie the encoder feedback back into Mach3 to adjust Z feed rates.

Is there a way to enable the ESS feedback without enabling PID controls? Thanks for any assistance!

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »
I have the encoder feedback read into Mach3 as MPG#1 and it's working well.
This is as good as it gets - and it is not bad.

when I try to use the PID control the spindle RPM control is not great.
Don't bother: it does not work. Nice try, but the Mach3 update rate was too slow for it to work.

Is there a way to enable the ESS feedback without enabling PID controls?
You need the Index pulse for two things: RPM and threading sync.
You need the encoder A channel for the improved threading control via the ESS, NOT via Mach3.

To explain: what the ESS encoder support does (MPG #1) is to allow the ESS to control the Z axis speed for threading. If the spindle slows down, tough, but the ESS knows and it slows the Z axis down to match. I repeat: this is a function in the last driver release for the ESS; it is not a function in Mach3.

Cheers
Roger
PS: it works fine.
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2021, 10:35:19 PM »
Thanks for the clarification! With the latest ESS driver, is there anything you need to enable (or other settings) besides the RPM feedback with both index and MPG#1 encoder (I have both A and B channels hooked up, but I don't believe the B channel is used from what I read).

I haven't attempted (or really determined what is involved in the tapping process yet G-Code wise) tapping yet, but I will try some tests soon!

Offline rcaffin

•  1,054 1,054
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2021, 11:42:35 PM »
With the latest ESS driver, is there anything you need to enable (or other settings) besides the RPM feedback with both index and MPG#1 encoder
Not as far as I can remember.
Experiment! Air cut, then soft plastic, then soft aluminium.

Cheers
Roger
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2021, 02:25:23 PM »
Hi,
spindle PID is for Mach4 only, it does not work in Mach3.

Clarification: This refers to realtime spindle PID enacted by the ESS

Craig
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:27:09 PM by joeaverage »
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'