Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:36:24 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 and latest ESS Driver - threading now works!  (Read 9214 times)

Re: Mach3 and latest ESS Driver - threading now works!
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »
Hi,
Machs GUI cannot display fast signals, it is possible that the index signal is operating properly just that it is so fast
that it does not show on the diagnostics screen.

I have heard that some people have found that it is neccessary to make the slot in the disc as wide as possible so that
the index pulse has greater duration.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »
If you are losing the Index pulse at speed, you need to take a look at the filtering settings in mach3. If they are at all large, then at high speed the pulse may not get through. It may get filtered out. I found that cleaning up the signal outside, by having a good (electronic) driver, plus zero filtering on the Index pulse was what I needed.

Timing belts: there are good ones and bad ones. The old toothed belt designs are not so good: they have backlash. I have replaced those on my machine with GT2 belts, 9 mm wide. You look at the GT2 belts and say 'no way' could they be strong enough, but first look at the mfrs specs for power throughput (Gates web site). Very strong!

You can get 6 mm ones very cheaply on ebay from China: they are strictly speaking NOT GT2 but a simple copy. The profile is slightly different, but in practice the difference does not matter. However, I chose to go up to the 9 mm width, which I got from America. I made my own pulleys with slim taperlock inserts. A good project maybe? (Photo of Z axis drive)

Cheers
Roger

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2020, 03:59:11 AM »
Hi Craig, Roger
This is definitely an index problem, I cant see any other issue.
One thing that comes to mind was a long time ago before the ESS was installed or the servo spindle. I do remember that I could only get feedback from the index if I bypassed the bob and went directly to mach, Why? we never knew or found out.
Everyone is saying that at speed the GUI wont light up but at 50-100rpm it should come on every time without fail, it doesn’t, that’s not quick pulsing at all.
I am thinking that I might bypass the BOB and run the index pulse directly to the ESS Board, it might save the issue, or its the opto trigger itself, but  I can see it activating the little led on the BOB next to where it plus in every time its triggered and at speed, for some stupid reason the signal is not getting through, hence my erratic start points and the only issue this lathe has.
How can I do this? Or should I do this?
Thanks
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2020, 04:34:54 AM »
Hi,
sure test out yor theory by probing the ESS input with an oscilloscope.

The ESS samples at 4MHz and so the Sampling Theorem suggests that the ESS could resolve (with ut aliasing) up
to 2MHz....which should be fast enough!!!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2020, 06:16:50 AM »
 the signal is not getting through, hence my erratic start points and the only issue this lathe has.
Hum - you definitely need to probe with a scope. It is faintly possible that the connection has some HW problems. I would suggest that there is NO way you might need to bypass the BoB. Hum - also check all the grounding.

If you don't have a CRO, there is a small problem. Frankly, I can't see one maintaining a complex CNC machine without a CRO! But there are some hacks which could be used if desperate. Q: how's your electronics?

Cheers
Roger

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2020, 09:43:05 AM »
Craig, Roger
Roger if your referring to a CRO as an Oscilloscope, I am out of luck on there and my electronics are not that good. I’ve built 3 machines a router a lathe and a mill(90%) complete. All issues I have had in the past I have solved either by the forums or trialling something different. Still have a sneaking suspicion about the BOB and all the issue I had before the ESS and servo spindle upgrade.
Thanks Again
Cheers
Katoh

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2020, 05:37:25 PM »
Have you used the ESS diagnostics? The pin readouts respond a little bit faster.

I have found that rotating the spindle VERY slowly allows me to see the Index pulse even on the Mach3 diagnostics page. Can you do this?

Cheers
Roger

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2020, 09:15:02 PM »
Hi Roger
I can see the light if I go very slow, I haven’t looked at the ESS diagnostics yet, didn’t even know there was one till now :-[
Here is a thread way back before the ESS days when I had the same issue with mach3 and rpm feedback using the same machine.

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=23520.msg171575#msg171575

I might try today changing the voltage that powers the opto, I know that I am using 12v for the limits and e-stop and the jog buttons. If I remember 5v couldn't cut it. The opto is on 5v I wander if its picking up a stray signal or loosing one or more every now and then. Must state the wires to the opto are shielded and earthed, but the length is a good 1.5m.
Cheers
Katoh
Cheers
Katoh

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2020, 10:35:55 PM »
The 1.5 m of shielded wire, with the shield earthed at the BoB only, should be fine.

I am a bit worried about the 12 V on the switches. That puts a 12 V signal into a logic chip designed for 5 V. Imhe, that can sometimes let the smoke out, or at least do some partial damage.
On the other hand, the BoB requires 5 V and not higher (or lower).

Do you have a circuit diagram covering ESS, BoB, switches and sensors?

Cheers
Roger

Offline Katoh

•  287 287
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2020, 04:10:11 AM »
Hi Roger
A little bumpsteer the limits are 5v to the BOB they go through a relay triggered by 12v, I forgot, I’m bad!
Do you think I could use my B signal from the Encoder on the servo to trigger the index? That would eliminate the whole opto slotted disk thing and be much more accurate.?
Cheers
Katoh