Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:12:51 AM

Author Topic: Programming Mach4 setup on one computer, but running it on another? Licensing.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I am starting to get annoyed at the demo time out while I am in the middle of coding Mach4.
I am using my main computer with bigger monitors and better setup, better comfort, more desktop space for multitasking etc. for the programming, but my CNC machine has a computer in it that will be running the program for the machine. The one in the CNC machine needs to work to test that stuff really works, but I also need to do all the "making it work" on a better setup.

How can I make both computers work with no time outs so I can get more done without the annoyance? I don't think buying the $200 license will solve this because that has to be tied to the computer in the machine and there is no way I can sit there at a swing out keyboard and little monitor sitting on a stool and do all this trial and error coding.

I am willing to buy the license to get rid of the timeout, but I don't think that will solve the issue of needing it to work on both computers?
Hi,

How can I make both computers work with no time outs so I can get more done without the annoyance?

If you do not install a motion controller plugin, ie your sole motion plugin is Sim(ulator) Mach does not time out. Once you install
a motion plugin, even if not active, Mach times out.

If you licence Mach that obviously cures the time out.

A Mach4Hobby licence allows you to have up to five active PCs at one time. Thus you would have your machine PC licenced
but could also have your development PC licenced as well.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Hmm, I guess this is confusing me then at the bottom of their licensing page...

" Important Note: The LICENSE will only work for the Computer for which you supply the PC ID at checkout. Each PC has a unique ID code and the license works in coordination with this code."

I thought I read it will only work on one PC, but you can use that one PC to run multiple machines...or something like that.

Offline thosj

•  532 532
    • View Profile
Each license will only work with the PC where the license PC ID came from, but you can have 5 licenses. Just go get another license with the PC ID from your nicer computer!! You can deactivate a license, too, if, perhaps, in the future you get an even BETTER PC and get rid of one.

If a PC dies, get a new one, install Mach, get a license, copy your entire Mach4Hobby directory over, done. Go deactivate the old PC license on the web site. If you somehow run out of licenses, contact Artsoft, they're pretty good to us Hobby guys, they're not trying to hobble us, they're trying to stop the real bad guys.
--
Tom

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
Sounds good.
Is there any downside to buying the license from a re-seller rather than directly from Artsoft?
Hi,

Is there any downside to buying the license from a re-seller rather than directly from Artsoft?

It rather depends on how the reseller handles it. If you buy direct you register on the NFS site and you can thereafter
manage your own licences. Were you to buy from a reseller then you may potentially have to get them to manage your
licences for you.

Being able to manage your own licences is a real bonus.

Craig

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I agree. It is not worth saving $10 if it adds another layer to get things done if ever needed. I posed the same question to the reseller. I will see what they say tomorrow.
I am giving up on this project for tonight. I thought I was gonna do something cool and hook my VFD frequency output up and use that signal to do some stuff, but reading my Machmotion I06 manual shot that down. It seems to only want to take in a 5V signal from what it says. There is only mention of differnt encoders and no mention of using a VFD signal. Mine outputs a 10V pulse stream :( I was thinking this might help me with the toolchange macro in knowing somewhat real spindle speeds to force it to wait for it to stop before going on.....
Hi,

but reading my Machmotion I06 manual shot that down. It seems to only want to take in a 5V signal from what it says.

The ESS provides a 5V peak PWM signal. On the breakout board there is (usually) an amplifier and filter circuit to produce 0-10V. Note that the 10V supply
is usually provided by the VFD and is isolated from the ESS/BoB supply.

If that proves not to be possible then make a filter circuit (resistor and capacitor) and the output of the breakout board followed by x2 gain opamp to produce 0-10V.

Craig

Offline jevs

•  315 315
    • View Profile
I was talking about the frequency monitor signal coming from the VFD back to the BoB input so i could get a motor RPM feedback. Driving the VFD works great other than there is no feedback. 4000 rpm is right on the money, but there is some slight variance along the range using an rpm optical meter to compare. I stumbled into finding some stuff i was not using from my VFD that might be benifical to use with Mach4, but the BoB says it will only accept a 5V pulse input from an encoder. My VFD sends 10V digital pulse stream out.
I dont even know how good this feedback would work but it would give a couple extra programming options and possibly better spindle speed control if it worked.
I will research options more tommorow. Maybe there is an inexpensive seperate spindle encoder that would would work also.
Hi,
a resistor and a 4.7V Zener diode will cut a 10V signal to 5V.

I dont even know how good this feedback would work but it would give a couple extra programming options and possibly better spindle speed control if it worked.

If the spindle produces an index pulse then Mach can give you a very accurate (100 part per million type accuracy) speed feedback.
The VFD will produce a pulse stream but you will have to allow some slip, maybe 3%, a normal part of operating asynchronous motors.
Unless you are threading and thereby demand very accurate speed control its dubious to me that you'll gain much advantage.

You may be interested to know that if you have spindle (not VFD) feedback then the ESS offers PID control of spindle speed.

Craig