Hello Guest it is January 26, 2020, 11:05:29 PM

Author Topic: Problem with spindle RPM DRO  (Read 241 times)

Problem with spindle RPM DRO
« on: July 18, 2019, 11:32:42 PM »
I did a little bit of searching and I seem to be having a similar issue to this thread: https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=37473.msg256212#msg256212

I have a VFD, controlled via modbus that I can read the actual RPM back from.  I've basically followed this link, with tweaks for a Durapulse GS3 VFD:
http://caldwellfam.net/bill/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Connecting-a-VFD-to-Mach4-through-the-Modbus-v5.pdf

I can control the RPM, and I can read the RPM back from the VFD without a problem.  The issue I am having is that when I try to update the droTrueSpindle DRO it flickers.  According to the API documentation, the mcSpindleSetSensorRPM() function is "This API function is what spindle control plugins should use to report the spindle speed."

The flicker is between zero and whatever value I pass to mcSpindleSetSensorRPM() in my PLC script.   Clearly something else is setting the spindle RPM to zero between the PLC service calls, but I have no idea where that is happening. 

Am I using the wrong function?  Should I be doing this differently?

Re: Problem with spindle RPM DRO
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 01:01:59 AM »
Hi,  i am having a similar problem in that i cannot get the Mach3 RPM dro to show any RPM at all.  The invertor shows the RPM, just not the Mach3 Dro.

Using HY inverter, C62 BOB and Smoothstepper and a 2.2Kw ATC 24,000rpm Spindle.

Have  looked for a Pulse output on all these devices (obviously not the spindle) so that i can connect to the BOB Index pin, but have had no luck finding such output.

When i do start the spindle, the Mach3 RPM Dro briefly shows some numbers and then rapidly counts down to 0.  Not sure if this is just reading some interference or not.

Any idea on how to get this to work.  This is driving me nuts.  I have looked for days and days on the web but nothing I find works.

Thanks
Dean. (my first post)