Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:29:19 AM

Author Topic: touch probe function question  (Read 4746 times)

Re: touch probe function question
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 11:51:26 AM »
Hi,

Is this code actually what is running when I click the "touch" button?  So, if I modify this code, it should effect what happens when I click the "touch"?

Yes and yes,

Holy mackral! 140+pages?  I bit more than I expected for my first toe in the LUA water. 

I know...I know....its character building.....but I have got by without any character for years...I don't want to start now!

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 12:55:59 PM »
Well, my wife tells me i'm a "real character"....so maybe that gives me a leg up.
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 02:49:51 PM »
Ok, after looking at lua and the module for probing the Z axis, I might have a better idea of how this stuff is setup......but, this is a bit aggravating.  I am a retired developer and quite frankly,  I am in no hurry to get back into programming, especially with a quarter meg code file that is a new language to me.

The video tutorial shows z probing working exactly as I need.  Probe makes contact, stops and retracts, and sets the z at the proper height (as configured).  It appears that is the standard behavior.  Yet with me, it seems to stop cold on touching the plate.  I am convinced that if all the correct values have been provided it would do what I ask for...probe, retract, and set the z height.

Am I nuts?  ... or is there something missing.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 02:56:08 PM by crchisholm »
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 02:59:17 PM »
Hi,
you should try logging a probe session and open a support ticket with NFS.

Have you tried viewing a log file? Much of the nomenclature is a mystery but a reasonable guess can be made as to interpretation.
Logging is a major advance over Mach3 and has always been part of Mach4s DNA. Because its not easy to read we tend to ignore
it but it is an extremely useful feature.

Craig

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Can I ask a question
What do you use between the pc and the mill .
Is it a parrelle port , or WHY

The reason I ask is that the Far East usb controllers do not work for probing they do not update the registers with the required info

The USA made units from Warp9 etc do work as does the printer port

Just a shot in the dark ,I have been there with Mach 3 Far East usb junk  got the smashed 3D probe to prove it

Now I run a ESS with a c25 bob for motion spindle from a 0 10v source and industrial Mach 4 now it works

Stuart
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 07:18:32 PM »
I too am running ESS over CAT5.   Gecko for the drivers.  Are you able to probe Z now?  If so, does it retract after touch?

I wonder if there is a problem with the hobby version of M4?  I can’t figure out why it does not work like the video shows in the tut.  I have a question into support, but thus far, no response.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:24:46 PM by crchisholm »
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
Hi,
the first thing Support is going to do is to ask for a logfile so they can track Mach......have you generated and/or viewed a logfile?

Craig
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
Actually, I don't have a clue about log files.  Probably should.  How do generate and view them.  I van look it up later. But if you can give me a nudge in the right direction I would appreciate it.
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 04:12:13 AM »
Hi,
under the Diagnostic Tab select Logging from the drop down menu.

You can Pin-to-Top the logging window and start logging. You can save it should you need to communicate with NFS say about
what Mach is doing.

With a bit of interpretation and some judicious questions on the forum its possible to deduce much of whats going on,
all very instructive.

Craig
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 07:28:53 AM »
Thank you!