Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:04:46 AM

Author Topic: Motors not moving in Motor Tuning Menu  (Read 1240 times)

Motors not moving in Motor Tuning Menu
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
I just recently purchased a new usb BOB i wanted to test (RnR motion I think) for Mach3. All axis are moving except in motor tuning menu when I press the Up and Down arrows. Not sure what I am missing here. I don't have this issue with my old BOB using parallel port.
Re: Motors not moving in Motor Tuning Menu
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
Hi,
those RnR USB boards have a very poor reputation.

There is almost no information about them. If you search the forum you will find hundreds of people who struggled
and failed to get them to work. You may also find some who did get them going and maybe you could ask them.
Good luck.

If you want a decent external controller I could not recommend any Chinese made boards. There are plenty of good US/European
made boards which work as advertised AND you get GREAT manufacturers support.
Ethernet SmoothStepper by WArp9
UC300, UC400, UC100 by CNCDrive
57CNC, 57CNCdb25 by PoKeys
Hicon Integra by Vital Systems
CSMIO by CSLabs

If you decide on a UC100 don't buy one of the rippoff Chinese made copies on EBay or Amazon, buy direct from CNCDrive
or their nominated distributor. You don't want a rippoff they just don't work lie the real thing.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 04:13:52 PM »
Hi,
those RnR USB boards have a very poor reputation.

There is almost no information about them. If you search the forum you will find hundreds of people who struggled
and failed to get them to work. You may also find some who did get them going and maybe you could ask them.
Good luck.

If you want a decent external controller I could not recommend any Chinese made boards. There are plenty of good US/European
made boards which work as advertised AND you get GREAT manufacturers support.
Ethernet SmoothStepper by WArp9
UC300, UC400, UC100 by CNCDrive
57CNC, 57CNCdb25 by PoKeys
Hicon Integra by Vital Systems
CSMIO by CSLabs

If you decide on a UC100 don't buy one of the rippoff Chinese made copies on EBay or Amazon, buy direct from CNCDrive
or their nominated distributor. You don't want a rippoff they just don't work lie the real thing.

Craig

Thanks for the recommendations Joe. Guess I have to stop on buying and testing those china bobs. I just ordered 57CNC just now. seems the most economical option for me since I plan on moving to mach4. What about drivers? Are wantai china drivers ok?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 04:24:21 PM »
Hi,
I'm not familiar with Wantai drivers but now they are well represented in the market.

I've seen a number of recommendations for Leadshine's AM882 driver, it is 80V capable.
Gecko are the gold standard when it comes two phase drivers but are somewhat more expensive.

The real trick to buying steppers and drivers is:
1) Buy low inductance motors. 23/24 size motors look for 1mH or less and reject any over 2mH. 34 size look for
    2mH or less and reject any over 4mH. Low inductance is as important as holding torque.
2)Buy the highest voltage driver you can get, 80V seems the industry wide max, and then use a transformer type,
   preferably a toroidal transformer, power supply of 72V or more.

Craig
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 07:56:08 PM »
Hi,
I have borrowed liberally from the Leadshine website because they publish Torque/Speed curves for many of their stepper products.

I have taken two steppers (57CM26 and D57CM31) which are both 23 size and close to the same length (3.3 and 3.4 inch)
with similar holding torque (369 oz.in and 439 oz.in) but the D57CM31 has a much lower inductance (1.18mH) vs the 57CM26
(2mH). At 1000 rpm the low inductance motor retains a little over 50% of its torque at 1.6Nm whereas the higher inductance
motor retains scarcely 25% of its torque at 0.8NM. This shows the principle that low inductance is good for high speed stepper
operation.

To reinforce the idea I have included a third motor (57CM13) which while is still 23 size it is shorter (2.2 inch) and much less
torque (185 oz.in) but intermediate inductance (1.6mH). At 1000 rpm it retains 75% of its torque at 0.85Nm and actually has
more torque than its bigger brother (57CM26) because its bigger brother also has more inductance. This illustrates the principle
that sometimes a lower torque motor also being low inductance can outperform a higher output motor but with commensurately
high inductance.

Code: [Select]
Model: 57CM26
Frame Size: NEMA 23 
Phase: 2
Step Angle: 1.8° 
Accuracy: ±0.9°
Length: 84 mm (3.31 inch)
Number of Wires: 4
Holding Torque: 2.6N.m (369 oz-in)
Phase Current: 5 A/Phase
Voltage: 2.2 V
Resistance: 0.44 Ω
Inductance: 2 mH

Model:D57CM31
Length: 88 mm (3.46 inch)
Holding Torque: 3.1N.m (439 oz-in)
Phase Current: 6 A/Phase
Voltage: 1.56 V
Resistance: 0.26 Ω
Inductance: 1.18 mH

Model: 57CM13
Length: 55 mm (2.17 inch)
Holding Torque: 1.3N.m (185 oz-in)
Phase Current: 4 A/Phase
Voltage: 1.68 V
Resistance: 0.42 Ω
Inductance: 1.6 mH

I have looked at some of the advertising material for 23 sized steppers from Wantai and they publish inductance figures of
5mH and greater. If that is correct......avoid like the plague......these things might not have enough torque to do 1000rpm
unloaded let alone coupled to an axis.

Craig
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 08:01:26 PM by joeaverage »