Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:28:17 PM

Author Topic: Turn tool-path display oddities...  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
Turn tool-path display oddities...
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:53:27 AM »
Still fiddling with Turn and my mill/Lathe setup - some oddities with the tool path display have arisen i think, just my knowledge lacking probably.

Pictures attached,

1st one is with a simple thread path loaded, no tool called, display looks fine to me, the Z-Min & Z-Max DRO also look good.

2nd one shows what happens when i call T1 which although not a threading tool, IS set with correct offsets in the table. The numbers are now meaningless and the display even less so :)

3rd one is the tool table entry for T1

4th pic is the path display after scrolling way to the right - it seems to think the part is now massive??

So, if if call T1, set my Z by touch-off, press path regen, the file will run ok but the min/max numbers are useless

I have index-homing so i set my tools using Hood's method which references them to the machine home position if i understand correctly, hence the large offset numbers.

Any ideas why things are a bit screwy - i know its tool related but in what way and can it be fixed by my changing something i do??

Thanks

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Turn tool-path display oddities...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 01:09:10 PM »
Welcome to the idiosyncrasies of Mach Turn :D

Go back to an earlier version to solve the toolpath way off screen issue, can't recall when it started though but I know it was before the tool DRO that shows offset and tool number and that is the only reason I put up with having to scroll at times.
Two other things I would do, first is as you are using the rear toolpath view I would change the tools in the table to Rear. Also if you disable view lathe object (or something like that) it will help with a lot of the viewing issues, it should be, from memory, on the Toolpath page from Config button..

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
Ah the Mach version thingy :) I'll leave that well alone i think as this is a multi profile setup and the other one has priority ;)

I was thinking its more front tool post really - its just rotated 0 degrees to vertical :)

Quick question - when using your tool setting method, how do you set the first run of a part for Z position - there is no probe so do you just manually call the first tool and set with that? ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
The toolpath view is  looking from above so you are using a rear toolpost if you have the tools above centreline ;)

Just call a tool and touch off the end of the stock and set the Z zero or as I normally do, set 0.2mm so that you have some stock to remove for your initial facing operation.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 01:46:07 PM »
Ok cool, what difference will rear TP make?

Got it re the initial touch-off, thats what i did so i got that right :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 03:09:03 PM »
It has been a while but I think that it could show the initial move incorrectly. It would run fine but if looking at the toolpath view it would look like your tool would rapid through the workpiece.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
ok thanks

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 07:26:42 AM »
Hmm, not a good idea to just flip the tool post in the table to "rear" and think you can get away with it :)

Really messes up the X axis offsets, is there a setting for rear tool post offset somewhere?

I put them back to front post and had to restart Mach to clear it :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Setting rear and restarting should be enough.

Offline Davek0974

•  2,606 2,606
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »
Should the offsets remain ok after or need to reset all tools?