Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:31:16 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 aggressive motor movement stalling the motor  (Read 1828 times)

Mach3 aggressive motor movement stalling the motor
« on: May 22, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
I an issue where the Z axis motor stalls in various situations. It looks like that in some situations Mach3 is not using the acceleration values what I have configured for the Z axis. You can see this in the video here: https://youtu.be/j8rkjhrz3Ck

In the beginning there is an aggressive movement which stalls the motor if I try to run the program in faster feedrate, then after few seconds you see that the motor is accelerating nicely. Why there is a change in the acceleration even the G-code is in the same feed rate. I use Fusion 360 for modelling and creating the G-code and Mach3 is connected to CSMIO/IP-M 4-axis controller.

Is there anything I can do about this? At the moment the CNC system is really unstable due to this and requires constant monitoring. The zeroing the Z axis again and again after every stall is frustrating...

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 aggressive motor movement stalling the motor
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 07:24:06 AM »
the G-Code would be interesting.
maybe there are G0 moves in?
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 04:16:23 AM »
There is only one G0 in the beginning. Then it is G1 etc. The code is quite long, so I don't know if posting it all helps?

I am quite fed up with the situation so I installed yesterday Mach4 to test it out. There are strange symptoms, the motors stall/pause and make bad noise in the middle of the moment in all axes. Earlier the X and Y have performed flawlessly. I haven't got time yet to search any information about that yet, I only tried the delay setting in the motor config but it didn't stop that. It got better but still motors stalled. So there must be something I haven't figured out yet. Also the demo timeout stops testing too soon so it does not help either.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 04:18:28 AM by jcres »

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 08:31:38 AM »
I can't watch the video right now, but I can tell you that Mach3 will in some certain situations exceed the acceleration values, due to a bug (bugs?) in the trajectory planner. Most people never see this issue, but for some, it makes Mach3 unusable.

Mach4 should not have this issue at all, but I'm not sure how good  or what state the CS Labs Mach4 plugin is in.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:57:40 PM »
I'm having what looks like a similar problem right now... G0 moves stall my X-axis at somewhere between 35-50 ipm no matter how low the acceleration is set, while the Y and Z are just fine. G1 F10, X is fine. Not sure why the Y axis (which has to move the X axis and the table) is fine at the higher speeds while the X (which only moves the table) is not.

Thinking maybe I ought to try the Mach 4 demo, just to see if that fixes it.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 03:09:17 AM »
Hi,

Nice thought but.......no it wont fix it. The problem you have described is not a Mach (3 or 4) fault but a fault with your
X axis, be it a stepper or driver or binding axis or whatever.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »

Nice thought but.......no it wont fix it. The problem you have described is not a Mach (3 or 4) fault but a fault with your

Craig

It's (a) definitely not binding, as I can power down the machine and push the table in X with no problem. It's (b) definitely not an issue of power (2830 oz-in NEMA 42 w/ Keling 11080 driver). It's (c) not the motor, as the same problem happened with the original factory motors before I got the new ones. It's (d) unlikely to be a problem with the driver, as the fault indication isn't lit up, but it can't be ruled out. I think I have enough wire length to swap A and X drivers without having to unbolt anything, so that would be a next step, perhaps.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 12:32:17 AM »
Hi,

Craig

I'm not going to admit that you were right, even though you were. I'm just going to say that wire nuts are the devil, but you prompted me to go back and re-check everything yet one more time. I'm back to 100+ ipm rapids again. :p