Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:28:08 AM

Author Topic: Need some help please. Mach4 Masterwood work position  (Read 1379 times)

Need some help please. Mach4 Masterwood work position
« on: May 22, 2019, 11:32:57 AM »
Hello,

I am currenlty retrofitting an old masterwood project 309 from 1993. I am retrofitting it with an CSMIO-ip/a. The machine is made for furniture buidling so it has an vacuum bed to fix the material. In the upperleft corner are pistons to set the workpiece in a fixed zero position. I am trying to make a function where I can fill in the workpiece dimensions to give the machine the workpiece position. I do not need probing because the material is always in the same position on the bed.

But the problem is that I am unsure in which value to put it and where to program it. Could someone help with my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jelle

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: Need some help please. Mach4 Masterwood work position
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 12:16:41 PM »
You're asking how to specify the work piece position, then saying it's always in the same place?
I'd set the origin in the CAM software to match your pin locations, which should be set by your home switches.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:57 PM »
You're asking how to specify the work piece position, then saying it's always in the same place?
I'd set the origin in the CAM software to match your pin locations, which should be set by your home switches.

The machine has different tool on it's head which is also the z-axis. The limit switches can't be the same as the origin for the work piece. This is because there are drills that need to drill horizontal past the origin which would trigger the limit switched. So I think that I need an fixed work piece offset to match the origin that is set by the pins.

I found that you can set x and y offsets for tools inside the mach4 tooltable.  I want to use that to specify the different locations for the tools(because they have different x an y offsets in relation to the main tool). But I think I am a bit confused on how to set the origin in relation to the head. Is it even possible to tell the machine that there is an fixed origin in relation to the head?

Sorry for the confusion hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:53:44 AM »
first need to understand which cadcam you use and how you define there the material
because normally in that kind of controller (gcode like mach) the system not real interesting about yours material thickness
only date its need what  z need go down and which tool
in europe cnc its generaly come with cadcam that calculate this ,so first explain how you want to work on this cnc
and which cadcam you plan to use

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:51:29 AM »
first need to understand which cadcam you use and how you define there the material
because normally in that kind of controller (gcode like mach) the system not real interesting about yours material thickness
only date its need what  z need go down and which tool
in europe cnc its generaly come with cadcam that calculate this ,so first explain how you want to work on this cnc
and which cadcam you plan to use

I am going to use fusion360 with the mach3 mlll post processor.But I I think I might have found what I needed. I think I just need to use g54 and I indeed do not need to tell the machine the thickness of the material because you already define it within fusion360.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »
For woodeorking use the g54 as top part reference ,is not good solution,you will have many thikness material ,and many times after you desighn and order material its arive not same thiknes,also you use many tools ,you cant give each tool onther g54
Best use the g54 as botom and use the tool  hight offset from tool table
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
Thanks for the help. Indeed I wanted to set to g54 at the top of the work area (bottom of work piece) and measure the tools also on that area. I read somewhere that fusion360 puts g54 in the gcode from default.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
Do you have also drill head on yours cnc? Or only spindle?
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
Yes I have 9 row drill heads and 4 side drill heads and 2 spindles. One spindle with an fixed changeable tool and one ATC spindle. Why do you aks?
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 09:02:33 AM »
I ask because i spent so long time to create optimizer for the drill head group and to manage it with its offset,and intersting me onther peopole solution