Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 09:33:29 PM

Author Topic: The Evolution of my Machine  (Read 2981 times)

The Evolution of my Machine
« on: May 13, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »
A few months ago, I decided I wanted a CNC Machine. I knew nothing about them, but my intention and determination has paid off. I learned so much through the process and am thrilled with the results.

https://youtu.be/hSvVVE5N4eI

NEMA 23 Motors
110V VFD Spindle
ESS Smoothstepper (Ethernet)
Mach 3
CamBam
Vectorworks

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,197 9,197
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: The Evolution of my Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »
Excellent work, thanks for posting the video link.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
Thanks! It's been quite a ride. I love your quote because nothing could be more true.

If interested, there's more about my "failures" on Facebook.

https://facebook.com/cncbytme
NEMA 23 Motors
110V VFD Spindle
Mach 3
CamBam
Vectorworks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Nice! I love it when a plan comes together.  :)

I'm curious, having gone from 0 to hero in just a few months what would you say was the toughest part?

Having done it and on the other side now, what do you think is the most important thing others considering doing the same should know going in?

I'd love to know what advice you would give others coming from where you were and wanting to get to where you are now.

Have sent you a Personal message.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 05:39:32 PM »
Nice! I love it when a plan comes together.  :)

I'm curious, having gone from 0 to hero in just a few months what would you say was the toughest part?

Having done it and on the other side now, what do you think is the most important thing others considering doing the same should know going in?

I'd love to know what advice you would give others coming from where you were and wanting to get to where you are now.

Have sent you a Personal message.

Honestly? The most difficult part was the wiring. Making sure it would all work perfectly without fail. When I built my first one, it had lots of troubles with interference and stopping often. I decided to rewire it, so I pulled out all the wiring and then thought I might as well make it larger. Taking the time to wire it correctly, using shielded wires where needed, and keeping wires separate made all the difference. My system uses a single 20A 110v Plug to run it all. It needs to roll around in my garage since I share it with a wife and 2 kids.

I would also say...don't go cheap on your card. Just get the ESS Ethernet Card right away. It's bulletproof and my machine can run hours and hours on end while processing many MANY thousands of lines of code.
NEMA 23 Motors
110V VFD Spindle
Mach 3
CamBam
Vectorworks

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 10:42:45 PM »
Thanks, good to know. Wiring, cabinet design and component selection are what I see as troublesome spots most often. Aside from that most that practice due diligence (reading manuals, researching, testing, etc.) usually get on pretty well.

Solid advice on the motion device. There are several good ones and the ESS is certainly in that list. Too often buying the cheapest ends up being the most expensive.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!