Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 12:37:38 AM

Author Topic: Mach 2 Help from a complete Newbie!!  (Read 7464 times)

Mach 2 Help from a complete Newbie!!
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:20:27 PM »
Hi I´m trying the freeware version of the Mach2 Software which is really impressive for my recently bought CNC machine, I have designed on Autocad 2000 a simple figure which I wish to cut but when I import it and generate a Gcode it only draws me a rectangle and that on the screen that shows you what you have drawn am I doing something wrong?? The part is made on 3D X,Y and Z axis it is a real simple shape am I doing something wrong??

Thanks For the help.

Roberto
Re: Mach 2 Help from a complete Newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
The DXF importer that is built into MACH 2/3 will not do 3d, only 2d shapes.  Brian and Art are currently developing LazyCAM (can be found in the Downloads section on the MACH support site).  I am not sure about the exact capabilities of it right now, but it should make dealing with DXF's allot easier.  One other tip is save the DXF in AutoCAD in Release 12 format.  Not sure if I helped "solve" your problem, but hope I helped clear up some confusion for you.

So, clear as mud now?   8)

p.s. Mach is pretty impresive isn't it!  I don't think you will find a better, cheaper, more flexible solution.  And the support it is surpased by none, IMHO.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 06:44:40 PM by rbleth51 »
Thanks,
Rob
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 06:42:40 PM »
 ;D Yupe Clear as Mud LOL!! Thanks for the help!! Ok so it doesn´t support 3d Files how will I make it to cut in different depths?? Manually?? How will I check that on the software??

Thanks for the help.

Roberto
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:53:57 PM »
Just to be safe I want to clarify that MACH is fully capable of true 3d work, however the DXF importer will not handle 3d DXFs.

So, that being said, for most true "3d" work, CAM software is the way to go.  There is a multitude of CAM software out there, you need to choose one that best fits you needs and budget.  I would recommend downloading LazyCAM from the MACH support site though.  It is currently in development, but will end up being a powerfull package, just as MACH has been.  Did I guess right, were you using a DXF to bring the part into MACH?

One more question.  Is this part truly 3d or just 2 1/2d?

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks,
Rob
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:56:54 PM »
Hi Rob,

Actually I can do it easilly 2D, I will download the LazyCam software but 3D is not what I need really I only need to cut and engrave panels basically thanks for the help will try it and if I have more doubts I´ll ask you again thanks for the help!

Roberto
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:02:58 PM »
Great, glad I could help.   ;D  I have asked enough questions and learned so much from the MACH support groups, that it is nice to give a little back.  Don't hesitate to ask more questions.  If I can't help/don't have the answer, someone else around here will.   8)  Good luck and happy chip making!!

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks,
Rob
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:33:27 PM »
Hi Rob,

Weird I made the whole thing in 2D and it won´t work it wont convert it to a viewable file maybe I´m doing something wrong could it be when It converts it to G code?? I simply cannot view the shpe of what I have drawn on the display.

Regards,

Roberto
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 08:39:16 PM »
Are you saving the part drawing as a DXF?  If so, the recomended DXF format is Release 12.  This is in AutoCAD right?

Thanks,
Rob
Thanks,
Rob
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 09:37:42 PM »
Yeah I actually have been doing it saving it as release 12 still didn´t work... so, I used another Cad software and save it from there and works just fine!! Now I have a question (another one LOL!) My design has a round part at the end of the drawing it does appear on the preliminary White screen where you generate the G-code but once I have it on the MACH2 Viewer or the black screen the round part doesn´t appear any ideas why??
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 09:58:59 PM »
To be honest {not that I am normally dishonest  ;) } there are many possibilities.  But my best semi-educated guess, is that the round object consists of entities that the MACH importer does not recognize.  The MACH importer will only recognize certain entity types from DXFs.  But I do not use the DXF importer, only played around with it a little in the past.  I have CAM software to do all the hard stuff, takes all the work out of it and generates my G-Code for me.  So I am not sure which entities are recognized and which ones are not.  But in the 3-4 years I have been following and using MACH, this issue has come up many, many, many times in the Yahoo forum.  Not sure about here as this forum is relatively new compared to the Yahoo MACH support forum.  You might try looking over there and doing a search for "DXF" and "entity" or "entities".  Art or Brian could say for sure.  I want to say splines are not supported, but my memory is fading more and more every day.   :-\  But I do seem to remember that once the drawing was done, it could be exploded and then the offending entities could be individually changed to entities that MACH recognizes.  Like I said before, LazyCAM should solve most of these issues.  Sorry, once again I don't have the solution, but hopefully I at least explained why it might not be working.  Hope that helps.
Thanks,
Rob