Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 05:04:57 PM

Author Topic: G-Rex 100 Advice  (Read 3570 times)

G-Rex 100 Advice
« on: August 25, 2007, 08:11:50 PM »
I've been running a K2 3925 machine for over a year now, started with MachII, upgraded and have everything running great with MachIII. But one issue has always been that the machine is pretty slow and the parallel port sometimes causes issues (I cannot run the port at the highest speed, it just kills the machine). I've been looking at upgrading from the stock controller that came with my K2 and going to the G100. Currently the machine uses 3 G320's with a breakout box, if I upgrade I'll have to either build a whole new box or retro-fit the current one. I've already emailed Gecko with a number of questions, but what I'm looking for here are people who are running the G100 currently and what your impression is and if there is anything I should be aware of before diving in!! :)

Thanks

-Paul-
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: G-Rex 100 Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 08:48:37 PM »
Hey Paul,
    As far as the G100, it depends on what all you are doing. At present, the G100 has some handicaps. Probeing is one of them. Most can run the G100 right now with pretty good results. All hardware it seems has their strong points and weak. Tell us more about what you will be doing with your machine.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
Thanks Brett...

Today I use the machine to mostly cut templates, jig parts, bridges and do inlay. I don't do any probing, or lathing, it's mostly milling work used to make parts. I do a good deal of repetitive work, like making bridges for customers, today it takes about 30 minutes to cut one bridge but I'm sure I could bring that way down if I could reliably speed up the machine.

The machine is a basic 3 axis with hardwired limit switches on both ends of X&Y (I worked with K2 and upgraded the machine) and one on Z, here is a link to the current version they sell (it's essentially the same): http://www.k2cnc.com/Machines/CNC-router-KG-3925-GTHK_detail.asp

It's been a good solid machine, even when I've crashed the gantry figuring stuff out, it survived :)

Going forward I want to be able to start and stop my router from Mach and the same with dust collection, I've not done it up to now simply because I got a package controller with the machine and didn't want to monkey with it much...

Does that help?
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 09:16:21 PM »
Yup that helps. If you can hold off for a week or so, I'll swap over from the BOB to the G100 and play with it some with the latest plug-in and firm ware. ( I have to get back on the set-up guide).It's no trouble to swap over but I have a job set up on it now. One thing I would study up on is this. Can the motors carry the machine at speeds you want if you can get a faster pulse? I wouldn't spend the money until I knew as their are far less expensive options if all you want is to add control via Mach of vaccum, coolant, spindle, etc.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »
That's a good question, when I first setup MachII I cranked it up to I think it was 45000hz, the machine was quick but the computer was basically non-responsive at that speed. So I run it at 25000Hz today just so that I don't run into problems with the computer response to my input (and it's not a little machine, I bought a Dell E510 P4). So I'm pretty sure the machine will go much much faster, it's either my parallel card or something in the machine so I run Mach at the lowest setting.

Also if I wanted to add more ports I would have to get a breakout box and then add a second serial port, if I can do that AND make the machine faster with the G100 then I figure I'm ahead of the game already :)

I'm not in a hurry, I have a large number of questions for the Gecko guys, but I'm very interested in what you find when you switch over. I use the machine today to make money to buy upgrades like this for it, I promised my wife any money made on the machine would go back into the machine... it's working so far :)

Thank You

-Paul-
-Paul-

Paul Davis
Luthier
Patriot Guitars