Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:55:51 AM

Author Topic: Where to learn 3D CAM?  (Read 3539 times)

Where to learn 3D CAM?
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
Machininists,
I'm floundering in a puddle of despair; cannot figure out how to cut 3D shapes and contours.

Drew a simple extrude, hemisphere, or taper in AutoCAD, import it to LazyCAM, MasterCAM and the like, and that's as far as I get.

Can someone help me learn how to cut 3D shapes.

Thanks,
MM

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Where to learn 3D CAM?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »
There is no need to be in a puddle of despair.
You must first learn the code that your CNC machine understands.
The only code essential to you is G0 - goto a position fast, G1 goto a position at cutting speed, G2 and G3 cut in a circular movement. There are others, but these tend to cut most shapes you would want to try.

Unless you master the basic codes, you cannot then understand the codes created by othe programs.

Try programming some simple shapes by yourself on your machine, before going onto the more advanced shapes. Yes - a G2 is a circular movement, but if you add a third axis it will become an sphere.

What are you trying to do - if it is cutting on a flat plane the G1 G2 and G3 get you going.

Just slow down and try and thik your way through it.

With a 3D cam you need to be proficient in 2D first, then add the thrid dimension as you go across the plane of the 2 D picture.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline comet

•  336 336
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 04:29:26 PM »
Marmot,
  you will need a cad/cam package such as mastercam,bobcad and a whole host of others.
you draw surfaces and convert then to toolpaths,simple theoreticaly but not in practice!
some softwares are better than others,mastercam is probably the world leader.
  All of these systems are prohibitivly expensive unless you take the time to download a cracked copy.
I could not condone this behavour though!
   when you have your software you will need a postprocessor that will link it to mach,
now thats a whole new can of worms!!
     Tony
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:13:46 AM »
Thanks guys!   did a "Gotomypc.com" meeting with Rhino on Friday and think I will go that route.  Does everything I need at a reasonable price.   I have a fairly good understanding of G-code but the shapes I think of in my head are not round, they are tapered and drawn free-hand so simple G-codes don't help.  I don't think anyone would want to hand code them.  I guess it's just a matter of getting software and cutting some shapes.    Regards,  MM