Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:12:29 AM

Author Topic: Lazy Cam Layers and importing  (Read 2798 times)

Lazy Cam Layers and importing
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »
Good day, I downloaded to evaluate the software, When I load a dxf I dont want to load the title block layer, or construction layer. I also dont have the capability to load in autocad to delete the layers and re-save. When I import it seems to flatten the dwg and gen gcode for everything. Is there an easy way to import and delete these layers. I started selecting all the individual lines and deleting but that is taking way to long.

Thank You
Thad
Re: Lazy Cam Layers and importing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:55:10 PM »
Greetings Thad,

You could select the chains you don't want to cut and remove them like you were doing. That takes too long, but the only other way I know would be to edit those files. That is something you'll want to be able to do anyway. Most of us here don't deal with files that have construction lines or title blocks. You will want to get some type of CAD program that will allow you to edit files because sometimes drawings just must be tweaked. Sometimes scaling gets lost. In one of my files the object was 3" across in CAD but when I saved it the object measured 0.07" across in CAD. I spent a few hours trying to figure out why I couldn't pocket it with a 1/4" end mill before I noticed the scale bar in the upper right hand corner. I opened it again and it was the version of AutoCAD LT that did it when I saved the file as ACAD R12. Sometimes lines look like they meet (closed chains) but they don't when you zoom in... LazyCAM does not like overlapping or redundant entities, open chains, or some types of arcs. There are some great and yet inexpensive CAD programs out there like TurboCAD, Rhino3D, DolphinCAD, etc. Many can be found with evaluation periods to try 'em out. Hope this helps. Happy cutting.

Offline klmark

•  107 107
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Cam Layers and importing
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:12:04 PM »
Hi
 Go to Solidedge web site they have a free 2d cad witch is realy nice and it work with LC
                     klmark