Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:20:51 AM

Author Topic: Help with Motor tuning  (Read 3700 times)

Help with Motor tuning
« on: August 20, 2007, 09:17:06 AM »
I need some help getting my machine to cut parts accurately. I set my machine up the way i think that it should cut parts accurately by the manual but my parts are off by about .012 could some one please help me get this fixed as i am pretty new to this and am about to rip out my hair.

Machine specs:
I have a harbor Freight Big Green Round column Mill part number 33686
i Beliece the lead screw is 10 teeth per inch. I am using 1.65:1 Gear reduction

the stepper motors are 200 pulse i have Gecko G202 which i 10 Microstep drives

i believe it would be 200 * 10 = 2000

then i take my gear reduction
2000 * 1.65 = 3300

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Motor tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 09:29:56 AM »
Hey Native,
     If you have a dial indicator, check your steps per. This is the first thing to check. Next, check your backlash. Do you have more details of the part and what is happening? Can you post a picture of it? I have attached a bit from another thread to help.

Checking your backlash should be no problem if you have an indicator. Put the indicator on something solid. Jog your axis until you move the indicator to a reading of about half of its travel. Write down the reading on the indicator. Jog the axis in the other direction by a set amount, say .010" and see how much difference the indicator shows. If the indicator says you moved .005 and Mach says it has moved .010 then you have .005" backlash. You can check your steps per. with your indicator also. Set up as before., only this time run the axis in until it just starts to move the needle on the indicator. Write down your reading. Going in the same direction give the axis a move with Mach. If Mach thinks it moved it .010" and your indicator says it moved .010", your steps per are right. ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »
Hi,
First thing I would check is to see how much backlash there is in the feed screws, unless of course you are using ball screws.

Alistair
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:32:52 AM »
Hi again,
 Chaoticone replied with a much better reply while I was off typing my answer  :(
Alistair

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 09:34:10 AM »
LOL, no problem, it's all good.  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 12:37:41 PM »
Thanks for the help guys i will give that a try when i get home tonight and post my findings