Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:55:38 PM

Author Topic: trouble getting torch to fire  (Read 1695 times)

trouble getting torch to fire
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:04:59 AM »
I  had my hard drive crash on me last week and the computer was on its last legs so I ended up finding another one. I got a laptop that had the parallel port installed. I was able to reload Mach3 but for some reason when I tried to reload my XML file it would not work and I ended up going through everything and getting it all setup again....to a point. The last time I had an issue I took photos of all my settings through the ports and pins, general config, motor tuning etc. Once I set everything up, created my profile it works. Once I tried it with the torch I got nothing, the only way to get the torch to file was to start it manually. I have the output #1 set at port 1 pin 17 and output 2 set at port 1 pin one. I saved my emails from the mfg of my table precision plasma and that is also the way he stated to set it as well. I use a Geckodrive G540 as my driver. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: trouble getting torch to fire
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »
There are a number of problems associated with using Mach3 and a Laptop / Parallel Port combination. This is the reason that NFS make the following recommendations for Mach3 use;

Requirements if using the parallel port for machine control:
Desktop PC with at least one parallel port
(Laptops are not supported)
32-bit version of Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
(64-bit versions will not work)
1Ghz CPU
512MB RAM
Non-integrated Video Card with 32MB RAM
(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 01:29:52 PM »
So what your saying is that even if the parallel port is there it won't work no matter what?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
Hi,
there are some people who get laptops to work OK with parallel ports but many more who do not.

The power saving features of laptops mean the CPU increases and decreases its speed all the time and that disrupts
the parallel port.

Not all parallel ports are the same. The original specification of the parallel port is required to work in full whereas some
parallel port hardware did not enact the full specification and therefore would fail to run Machs parallel port.

By all means try to get your laptop to work but from your description its not sounding too hopeful.

The other alternative is to get an external controller like a SmoothStepper or a UC300.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 01:59:01 PM »
Ok thank you
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »
So I  found a desk top that will work the only thing is it has a integrated video card instead of the non integrated one,  how much of a difference will that be, will that part alone cause an issue.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 02:55:22 PM »
Hi,
I used Machs parallel port without a separate video card and it worked fine.

My suggestion is try it. Some PC's seem to do a parallel port well and others do not.....you can't tell
until you try it.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:24 AM »
So I  found a desk top that will work the only thing is it has a integrated video card instead of the non integrated one,  how much of a difference will that be, will that part alone cause an issue.

An integrated video can cause issues when running very long Gcode programs. These issues can usually be overcome by disabling the Toolpath Display but ideally, fitting a PCI graphics card with plenty of RAM is the way forward.
PEACE