Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 12:01:29 AM

Author Topic: router bits  (Read 1879 times)

Re: router bits
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2019, 07:50:31 PM »
Hi,

I do not have much success with cheap bull nose & spiral bits and precision endmills.
This too is my experience with cheap Chinese tools.

I realize now however that a part of that was my own fault. In particular I was very new to CNC, hence
I was buying cheap tools, but more importantly had but one high speed (24000 rpm) VFD spindle.

The challenge was to mill steels.
I had all sorts of battles and wrecking tools because I was spinning them way too fast.  I blamed the tools
being cheap and Chinese. As time went on and I started buying branded tools and especially since I made a second spindle
(3500 rpm at 6.2Nm cont) and now I can chew up steels, including hardened and tempered, up to the limits of
the rigidity of my machine.

Given my much improved understanding about the use of carbide tools in steels I think I would get much better results
with Chinese tools than I had initially. Having said that I have a Destiny Tools Raptor 1/4 endmill in my machine from
which I've had about 16 hours cutting in hardened and tempered 4340 and its still going. When I do replace it I wont be
buying cheap, I'm more than happy to buy another. I have no doubt that there are any number of high performing branded
tools on the market and I would be happy with most of them but NONE of them are cheap.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
Re: router bits
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
Someone at Routerforum claimed that ARDEN from Taiwan (not mainland China) makes good router bits at (not so high) prices.
www.arden.com.tw/

I haven't used Arden myself since I prefer to buy more expensive bits from  Carbitools.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:30:29 AM by ger21 »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"