Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 09:25:53 AM

Poll

Have you ever blown up a PC by backfeeding a non opto-isolated input?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
5 (100%)
'I take my PC's out the back and shoot them' LOL
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Have you ever blown up a PC?  (Read 1338 times)

Have you ever blown up a PC?
« on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:40 AM »
Hi All,
trying to get a feeling for the number of people who may have damaged a PC because they chose not use
opto-isolated inputs.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Have you ever blown up a PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 02:32:30 AM »
On my parallel port operated machines I do not use opto-isolation and have never had any PC problems. However, I only use 5 Volt TTL level for inputs and switches and my stepper drivers have their own opto-isolated inputs.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 02:36:25 AM »
Hi Tweakie,
when I used parallel ports I had the same arrangement as you and never had any problems either.
I now use an ESS, and I suppose it is just as possible for a 'bad' input to damage the ESS, and yet it
hasn't happen either.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 03:01:09 AM »
Hi Craig,

One thing perhaps worth consideration...

We both have an understanding of electronics but there are probably a great many out there who just connect wires and see what happens.  :'(
PEACE

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 04:51:31 AM »
Most industrial machines run their limit switches on 24V to improve reliability. A noise must change nearly 12 volts before giving a false trigger.
In those situations, opto-isolation of the parallel port in very important.

If we run our limit switches on 5V only, it is unlikely to blow up the parallel port even if the BOB only use ttl buffers and NOT opto-isolation for the inputs. Limit switches at 5 volts can be more easily triggered by noise. A change of 2.4 volts can already cause a false trigger.

While I have NOT blown up any PC myself, I have customers returning PC with USB ports burnt or the Parallel port burn. When the parallel port is on the motherboard, the circuit nearby like the Ethernet and USB got burnt too. I had a cheaper PCIe parallel card destroyed too.
Customers do make mistakes. e.g. some would set the motion controller from USA to 110v and then plug into Australian 240v instead of the step down transformer supplied. The company that I sold PCs to, repairs a lot of blown external motion controllers by sending them back to USA for repairs.
Now I only sell PCs with AXXON 5V PCIe parallel Port cards from Canada which can withstand 15,000V without breaking down. They cost even more than ESS or UC300..but they are very robust for industrial use.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 04:54:04 AM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
Off the top of my head, I haven't really heard of any in the 15+ years I've been reading DIY CNC forums. But I'm sure there have been a few.

My machine is not isolated, and has been fine for over 10 years. But the parallel port powers everything, so it's pretty hard to damage anything.

You really have to wire a power supply wrong and fry the breakout board to damage the PC.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html