Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:52:46 AM

Author Topic: Number of problems with Syil X4 & Mach3 & Mastercam. Help!  (Read 2694 times)

Number of problems with Syil X4 & Mach3 & Mastercam. Help!
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:37 PM »
Hi. New to this board!
Have done some CNC machining with my PocketNC machine.
Just bought a Syil X4 used.
Have been checking over, cleaning and adjusting machine.
Could post some photos and information about removing the X & Y axes, replacing the angular contact bearing on the lead screw & building a tool to tighten the spindle nut if anyone would find it helpful.

My first issue has to do with the homing switches and limit functions. I've read the setup and user manuals, but I'm doing something wrong.
I'd like to make sure that I at least have the axes moving in the proper direction.
My assumption is that the controlled point (the end of the tool) should move in the conventional directions (or the table in the opposite direction)
Thus, on the X4, I would consider a positive X move if the table moved to the left (or bit moved to right of part).
I would consider a positive Y move if the table moved to the front (or rear of the part).
A positive Z move would be upwards, away from the table.
Is all this correct, or am I mixing up my definitions?

I did test the movements, by entering say G1 X1 which would move the table in the direction I expected, as above.
Next, we come to the home switches. The machine does not have separate limit switches but is designed to trigger the home switch at each end of travel.
When I switched the axes directions to match the above, the X and Y home directions flipped.
When homing, the table moves to the far right, and to the front.
The Z axis is a problem. This machine has an optical sensor on the Z carriage with two blades, one at either end of the travel.
When the Z is not homed, the pin is on or high. When the switch is homed, the blade turns the signal low, or off.
Looking at the chart on page 4-2 of the install/config manual of the parallel port pins I don't see how they match the "pins" shown on the diagnostic screen. The diagram has 13 pins on the upper row, and 12 pins on the lower.
The diagnostic screen has 12 pins upper and lower. ??!!
Anyways, the pin controlled by the Z homing switch is the upper row 7th from the left. It is on all the time, except when homed.
When it is NOT homed, the M3Home light is yellow. I would expect that it should be the opposite.
I tried changing the Z home switch to "Active Low" in the input signals tab of the Ports and Pins config screen.
This seems like it would work correctly, the input would be inactive when not homed, and active when homed (considering the pin is on normally, off when homed)
The switch seems to be iffy, and it doesn't yield accurate repeats on homing, so I'm planning to replace it with a Micro Switch BZE6 unit, which can be wired NO or NC.
I think this is a suitable switch, any thoughts on this?
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong but I keep getting error messages like "Axis are not Refed to Normal Conditions" and "requested home axis home switch is active... please fix, then home."
But none of the switches are active according to the diagnostic screen. And I think this problem is causing issues with the soft limits as well.

Can anyone recommend things to check and/or test?

Assuming my axes are set up correctly, my travel limits should read X -11.75 to 0,  Y  -5.5 to 0  and Z -12 to 0.
Any positive move would be towards 0. The Z limit switch is set at 2" from the top, so it actually homes at Z -2

I'd really like to get home switches working as limit switches for peace of mind. I'm ok if I have to go to the diagnostic screen to disable them to get them off activation if needed.
I assume when set up properly they work regardless of whether you are jogging or a program is running when they are triggered?
Can anyone tell me how to set this up to work? Would these be "hard limits" rather than soft limits?
Should I just plan on adding three more switches, so I can have home/limit on one side, and limit on the other?
Do I need to add another parallel port to do this?

I guess if I can get this straightened out, I can move on to my problems with the toolpath and table display and other CAM errors I'm getting.
Many thanks to anyone willing to respond.
Thank you,
Bryan

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Number of problems with Syil X4 & Mach3 & Mastercam. Help!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 02:48:52 AM »
Hi Bryan,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd like to make sure that I at least have the axes moving in the proper direction.
My assumption is that the controlled point (the end of the tool) should move in the conventional directions (or the table in the opposite direction)
Thus, on the X4, I would consider a positive X move if the table moved to the left (or bit moved to right of part).
I would consider a positive Y move if the table moved to the front (or rear of the part).
A positive Z move would be upwards, away from the table.
Is all this correct, or am I mixing up my definitions?

I can confirm that this is correct.

Looking at the chart on page 4-2 of the install/config manual of the parallel port pins I don't see how they match the "pins" shown on the diagnostic screen. The diagram has 13 pins on the upper row, and 12 pins on the lower.
The diagnostic screen has 12 pins upper and lower. ??!!

Please don't take too much notice of the Port 1 Pins Current State (Diagnostics Screen) - for some reason they do not always work as intended.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
Thank you for the reply!
Can anyone else address some of the other issues?
Thanks,
Bryan

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 04:09:37 AM »
Thank you for the reply!
Can anyone else address some of the other issues?
Thanks,
Bryan
Hello Bryan,
Go to link below and download manual - it already has answers all your setup puzzles.
https://www.peu.net/syil/X4_User_Manual.pdf

All the units in the manual are in mm. BUT YOU should know how to convert to inches since you just need to divide by 25.4.
AFTER your m/c is UP and working to the letter according to the manual (don't change anything YET), then we will discuss with you if you have any further questions/problems.

Reuel
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 04:13:42 AM by reuelt »
"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 11:23:43 PM »
Hi Bryan

It's an old thread I know however.... I bought an X4 pretty much sight unseen last year but have only now got around to getting it running. It seems to have mostly original electronics but has Ethernet Smooth Stepper fitted. I have Mach3 control over XYZA and homing switches. I am running programs successfully now but still have a problems with spindle. Have you solved all yours?

Peter