Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:07:40 AM

Author Topic: Software stops mid opperation.  (Read 3481 times)

Software stops mid opperation.
« on: March 12, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
Hi,
  I am using mach3 software to run a 3d printer. It usually runs fine but once it a while it just stops. The printer acts like it would if a limit switch were triggered but the software doesn't show that any has been and just seems to be paused mid print. From this point on the software and printer seem to have no interaction with each other. Then, after I close and restart the software, it will run fine again. The problem may happen any time during a print and does not consistently stop at any specific point in the gcode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
Re: Software stops mid opperation.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »
How are you connecting the MACH3 PC to the 3D printer?
Via parallel port or USB or NIC or RS232, motion controller ...?
What OS, Win XP or Win 7?
Which 3D printer? Commercial or home-made?

No one can solve your problem without knowing more about your hardware and software.

"the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord"
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 06:05:32 PM »
I am using a parallel port, Running windows 7 on a Dell OptiPlex 760, and it is home-made.
thanks

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
Thanks and well done!
Does Dell OptiPlex 760 have a built parallel port interface or did you put in a 3rd party card?

Can your parallel port be set to EPP 1.7  in BIOS?

As I build new PCs for PlasmaCAM & am an IT consultant (in au)
please let me advice you what to do
1. Open the Dell OptiPlex 760 case and blow or brush off all dusts from the CPU heat sink.
Use a Vacuum cleaner that can blow or a bicycle pump or a paint brush.
2. Clean the contacts of the cards and memory sticks with pencil eraser.
Rule out hardware issues out of the way first
Then
3. In Win 7
Go into command prompt with administrator rights and paste and add the below registers.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
4. Tune up win 7
4.1 Turn off screen saver
4.2 Turn off windows sound
4.3 On power options in control panel select HIGH PERFORMANCE and select NEVER for both Time to turn of monitor and Hard disk
4.4 Run MSCONFIG and untick all startup items except MACH3 related
4.5 In Task scheduler disable all software update tasks
4.6 In services - disable Windows Update and superfetch - (Only AFTER you have done all windows updates recently).
Please report back and I'll tell you more ..

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:45:43 PM by reuelt »
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »
My computer does have the interface parallel port.

Thanks for the help, I will get back to you tomorrow as I am currently running a print.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
 Ok, Got that done.

Offline reuelt

•  520 520
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 04:17:26 PM »
Good
In Mach3, Config, General config page
look ahead should be changed to 200 lines at least (default was 20). In Mach4 default already 200 lines.
At top right hand corner of same page, set both debounce to 50.
In config motor tunning, you can set step pulse higher try 5 (15 is max) and Dir pulse (up to 5).

The parallel port cable should be as short as possible. 2 meters (about 6 feet) is max. length for stability.
make sure that your printer body grounded and the control box case are both grounded to reduce HF interferences.

I would set antivirus to trust C:\mach3 folder.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 04:55:58 PM »
Is there anything else or should I give it a try now?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 05:12:37 PM »
Hi,
Mach's parallel port driver has always been a bit 'iffy' on certain PCs.

Some PC's seem to do a good job whereas another very similar machine does not.

Your PC is not a laptop is it? The power saving features can really screw up a parallel port, some people have had good results
with laptops but most bomb out with them.

Have you considered an external motion controller like a SmoothStepper or a UC300?

An external motion controller removes the responsibility of generating fast accurately timed pulse streams form
the PC's CPU (where Mach's  parallel port driver lives) to the external board. The external board has electronic
circuits made for the purpose and produce  pulses much faster and more accurately than a parallel port ever will.
With an external controller you can use just about any PC you like, laptop, 64 bit OS, Windows 10 etc.

The downside of an external controller is cost. The two I have mentioned are in the range of $150-$200US. Note there
are cheap Chinese made controllers and Chinese made rip-offs of name brand controllers but don't go there, they are
rubbish and will cause more frustration than the parallel port.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'