Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 12:17:11 AM

Author Topic: Hicon Integra Low cost stepper options  (Read 2304 times)

Hicon Integra Low cost stepper options
« on: March 08, 2019, 10:36:11 PM »
Hello,

Looking for a low cost stepper motor solutions for a Hicon 7766.

Any suggestions would be appreciated; mainly looking for something low cost to setup in a lab environment.

Items i'm reviewing:

https://www.robotshop.com/en/tb6600-stepper-motor-driver.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAwojkBRBbEiwAeRcJZEv6r-xKHSb5n0-G-veSs0kRpkhmlTRQYpVvuXUSWr_py1j0PG8MJBoCzYgQAvD_BwE

https://www.robotshop.com/en/12v-17a-667oz-in-nema-17-bipolar-stepper-motor.html
Re: Hicon Integra Low cost stepper options
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 01:33:05 AM »
Hi,
you are going to pay top dollar for a Hicon controller but now want cheap ( junky) steppers? Why?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Craig,

Just want something to play with that is cost effective----any suggestions?

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
Hi.
if you want something just to play with then what you have linked to already will be fine.

If you want a stepper to actually do some work then buy a decent one to start with.
The determining parameter (after size and holding torque) is inductance, the smaller the better.
You may well find a powerful stepper, say 500 oz.in  but 4mH. A less powerful 400 oz.in stepper but
much lower inductance 0.9mH will perform much better overall.

The lower the inductance of a stepper means it can run faster without losing steps, always the Achillies Heel
of any stepper.

The next issue is the driver. Go for a driver that has the highest voltage capability.
Gecko 213's have a great reputation for reliability and capable of 80V, they are somewhat more expensive but good quality.
Leadshine AM882 also have a good reputation, 80V up to 8.2A, in the region $65-$75 on EBay.

The higher the voltage allows a stepper to run faster, it counteracts the inductance.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'