Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:20:49 AM

Author Topic: Screen enhancement for M6  (Read 5472 times)

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Screen enhancement for M6
« on: August 14, 2007, 07:13:50 AM »
I have altered the manual screen on the Turn program to include inputs for a tool change position, as in the video tutorials. I was hoping to put in a command such as M6 T3 - and the lathe would move to a change tool position, indicate on the screen which tool to insert, and also automatically change the offsets.

If I do such a command on the Mill screens, then this is what occurs, but the same Visual Basic file ( minus the Y axis ) does not produce the tool change required on the Turn screens. It quite clearly is not picking up the information from the command. I can put them in manually and all is well. Does Turn react to "GetSelectedTool ()" or is it something different. M6 is fine , it is the T? that is lacking.

I cannot access any customising information with Adobe reader to check this.

Jim
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
Re: Screen enhancement for M6
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 09:42:14 AM »
it should work.... could you please post your code?

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 01:42:13 PM »
Brian _ I dont know how to attach a file on this forum.

I have different tool offsets on tools 1 to 4.

The code is a simple m6 t1, m0, m6 t2, m0, m6 t3, m0, m6 t4, mo (different lines, of course)

On the Mill program this changes the tool number and hence the settings. On the Turn program it does not.

Jim

Hood

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 02:06:37 PM »
if you put T100 in MDI does it work?
 I have my toolchange macro written for my turret and toolpost and it works fine, dont have it here but I am sure it uses GetSelectedTool()
Hood

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 04:32:36 AM »
If I add t100 in the program, the result is still the same. Mach3 Mill runs the program correctly and changes the Tool number, but Mach3 Turn does not.

I pressed Additional Options and got the "Attach"  This is the test program I am running.  The same tool changes take place in my full program which is to machine handrail stanchions for a miniature railway loco. The change is to allow me to change the tool from a left hand tool to a pointed tool. There is also a break to allow me to pull out the work piece.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 09:00:09 AM »
Hey I use lathe as well,

You have to put your T word Before your M6 (not after), it will then pick it up.

scott
fun times

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:57:40 PM »
 :o :oYes - we have a problem here.

Mach 3 Turn requires the T (number) before M6 if it is to take any notice of it. It also requires T100, 200, 300 400 and responds by changing the tool number to 1,2,3or 4.
Mach 3 Mill, on the other hand will take  the command in any order, i.e. T(number) before or after M6. It also takes any numbers - from 1 to somewhere between 200 and 300.

This wouldn't be so bad if I was only using a Mill or a Lathe, - but I am using a lathe with a milling attachment. I am having a bad enough time going between x y and z.

Can we get to a common system - or will it have to come out in a later release.

Hood

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:58 PM »
With my lathe I dont use M6 at all, just T100 or whatever and it will index the turret and change tool. I have my macro written to control the PLC/toolchange so maybe it is your macro that is at fault.
 I think the T**** is the Industry standard way of changing tools for lathes and likewise M6T** is the standard for mills so really Mach is set up that way for god reason.
Also I am new to Turn but I think the first 2 digits of the T**** are the tool number and the last 2 digits are the offset number, in Mach you dont have to use t0101 you can just use t101.

Hood

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:56:34 PM »
Yea, in lathe you might have better format with:  T*** H*** M6
With the M6 you can write to one of your unused axis(s), to operate your turret ATC, or, you can write out to a PLC.

I use a PLC on both My mill and lathe, The good thing about a plc is you can run independant motion modules in it, that
can operate outside of Mach, thus your ATC can do things while Mach is Machining............
It IS more expensive to go with a PLC but the benefits, IF, your doing this for money is well worth it. If this is just occasional hobbie
(Unless your finacially independant), it is easier to set up one of machs unused axis.

Just to give you an idea I use a ADC DL06 that has 2 motion modules (High speed counters), and on 4-2Analog module, One extra I/O card, I use the 2 motion
for a "read a head" swap arm type ATC on the mill, and a Slit tail ATC on my Lathe, (the turret handles the profile tools, the tail handels the boring/drilling).
You can really fancey if you want and make a Y-axis lathe with a secondary Drop Spindle for the other side with swap spindle mcodes and relays.
Again though requiring a PLC for the above.  cost of that plc system: about $600.00 plus the programing software about 500.00 (it has a line limited free version), Plus programming cables,
and the time you spend writing you Ladder, personally I prefer Stage programming it is much better for more complex stuff.

The format of:  Txx Hxx M6 works both in Mill and Lathe...........

Scott
fun times

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 09:31:58 AM »
Hood - you are quite right, there are two different formats, one for mills and one for lathes. Now you have mentioned it, I have researched it and found out the reason.  Lathes require t**** (toolnumber and gemetrical offsets follwed by wear offsets) whereas mills respond to M6 followed by the tool number.

Thanks to everybody for there input, I have cleared that up now - and change my program.

Jim.