Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:33:04 PM

Author Topic: Z Axis home, + limit, - limit  (Read 5969 times)

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
Z Axis home, + limit, - limit
« on: August 13, 2007, 09:14:48 PM »
Hi all,
I'm finishing up on converting my Bridgeport look alike. On my Z axis (spindle) I have made a adjustable cam plate behind the pulley that drives the Z axis. I'm going to mount a limit switch so the cam depresses the limit when it is at the top of its travel (all the way up). The cam will make one full turn before the Z axis (spindle) gets to the end of its travel (down).
My question is can I make this switch Z home, Z+ limit, and Z- limit? I have read in the manual where you can use a limit switch as both home and one limit, but because of the way the cam works, this one switch can be depressed twice before the Z axis (spindle) hits either end of its stroke.
Thanks for any input.
olf20
Mach3, Atlas Knee Mill, 4th Axis, VcarvePro, ESS, Super PID.
Been Heating with corn since 1998
Re: Z Axis home, + limit, - limit
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 09:50:57 PM »
Yup... You are not the first one that wanted to do this :) I have seen machines that have every home and limit hooked to one input!!!

You are free hook them all up if you like...

Thanks
Brian
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:54:10 PM »
Brian, thanks for the quick reply.
So one switch for all three functions?
Thanks olf20
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:45:31 PM »
Give it a go! it will work fine :)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Hood

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 02:19:21 PM »
Had one optical switch on my manual Bridgeport conversions Z axis, worked fine. In fact I have the same thing on my CNC Bridgeport conversion. In fact all of my axis only have one switch each ;).
Hood
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:24:04 PM by Hood »

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 07:05:24 PM »
Thanks Hood, Brian!!
I will set the Z up this way.
BTW Hood, how / where is the switch on the Y axis located so you only need one swithch. I have been racking my brain to figure out the Y axis.
The X seems to be fairly easy.
Thanks for any help!!
olf20
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
I setup Mach3 to use combined home/limit for all three axis and it works great.  I'm using one switch for each of the X and Y axis.  Using two switches on the Z axis.  The X and Y are set NC and work fine, however I could not get the Z axis to work by connecting the switches in series.  When I started the machine I would get an E-stop.  Changed wiring, etc. and did not correct.  Wired the Z switches NO in parallel circuit and system works.

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 07:52:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply Dgoddard!
I have been wondering about all the comments about people having Estops with the switches in series. Is the reason for Series wiring because if a wire gets cut or broken you will always get a STOP and the fact that you only need one input?
Thanks olf20

Hood

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
The switch is fixed to the knee and the stops extend out from the saddle, just angle brackets that slide for adjustment. My opticals are from Industrial Hobbies, they are inside a watertight Alu case and a rod runs through o rings and extends either side of the case. A flag blocks the optical until it hits a stop, the rod/flag have a spring on either side to balance and e centre after going off the limit. They work great, so good in fact I copied the idea and made one for my Z Axis as they would not fit inside the head.

Hood

Offline olf20

•  325 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
So you have one switch / optic for each axis, for a total of 3 inputs for home, +, - limit??
I just want to do this right and have a dependable machine. It will have to run jobs with just
a camera on it at times. Small shop lots to do!
Thanks again olf20